Word: This text’s statistics come from third-party sources and don’t characterize the opinions of this web site.
Whereas Brits have a status for being a nation of tea lovers, analysis means that an equal variety of individuals within the nation drink espresso as those that drink tea. British espresso drinkers choose their brew prompt, and this was additional magnified throughout the Coronavirus pandemic when greater than half of British individuals stated that they drank extra espresso.
Though Brits do choose to drink their espresso at dwelling and drink extra prompt espresso, the espresso store market is value $15 billion a yr, with the popular drinks being lattes, cappuccinos, and flat whites.
Under are 19 figures associated to the UK espresso trade, espresso retailers, and at-home espresso ingesting habits.
The 19 UK Espresso Trade Statistics
- Regardless of its love of the beverage, the UK is not within the high 25 nations for consumption per capita.
- The UK espresso store market is value £15 billion a yr.
- Greater than 50% of Brits drank extra espresso whereas working from dwelling throughout the pandemic.
- Latte, cappuccino, and flat white are the three favorite espresso drinks.
- The common time for a primary cup of espresso is 9:01 am.
- Costa is the hottest espresso store chain within the UK.
- There are greater than 8,000 branded espresso store chains.
- 80% of those that go to espresso retailers go to a minimum of as soon as every week.
- 16% of espresso store guests go to each day.
- Millennials are the almost definitely era to go to espresso retailers.
- Lavazza is the hottest model of recent floor espresso.
- Brits pay £2.75 for a espresso store cappuccino.
- 73% of espresso ready at house is prompt espresso.
- Espresso pod machines are extra well-liked than another kind of espresso machine.
- On common, Brits spend £16 per 30 days on espresso to drink at dwelling.
- 39% of Brits have a espresso machine at dwelling.
- The preferred prompt espresso within the UK is Nescafe.
- The similar quantity of individuals eat espresso every single day as people who drink tea.
- 5 instances as many cups of takeaway espresso are offered in comparison with takeaway tea.
UK Espresso Trade Statistics
1. Regardless of its love of the beverage, the UK just isn’t within the high 25 nations for consumption per capita.
(Roast And Poast)
The Brits are a nation of espresso lovers, however they don’t even come near a few of the heaviest hitters on this planet. The Finns eat a mean of 12 kilograms per capita, whereas second place Norway goes by way of 9.9 kilograms per particular person every year. The UK’s per capita consumption of simply 2.8 kilograms places them 44th on the listing of high coffee-consuming nations on this planet.
2. The UK espresso store market is value £15 billion a yr.
There are greater than 30,000 cafes, espresso retailers, and different venues that serve espresso within the UK, and the espresso store market is estimated to be value £15 billion a yr.
3. Greater than 50% of Brits drank extra espresso whereas working from dwelling throughout the pandemic.
(New Meals Journal)
The worldwide pandemic affected each facet of our each day lives in 2020 and 2021. Espresso ingesting habits have been additionally enormously affected, and whereas individuals have been unable to get out and get their favorite espresso store brews, this didn’t deter Brits from consuming extra of the liquid stimulant. Greater than half of Brits surveyed stated that they consumed extra espresso whereas working from dwelling. Causes given included taking extra breaks and ingesting espresso as a way to assist them get extra work achieved and keep alert.
4. Latte, cappuccino, and flat white are the three favorite espresso drinks.
Though the nation is a nation of prompt espresso drinkers, Brits most popular espresso drinks are lattes, cappuccinos, and flat whites. Different drinks, together with mocha and brewed espresso, are additionally featured within the listing of the ten most popularly consumed drinks.
5. The common time for a primary cup of espresso is 9:01 am.
To lots of people, a cup of espresso is a part of their morning ritual. Its stimulant results will help clear the fog of sleep that also exists, and a number of drinkers insist they’ll’t perform till they’ve had a minimum of one cup of espresso. Within the UK, the common time for a espresso drinker’s first cup of espresso is at 9:01 am, which, for most individuals, is simply because the working day begins.
Espresso Store Espresso
6. Costa is the preferred espresso store chain within the UK.
Whereas Starbucks is the world’s main espresso store chain, it solely simply makes the highest three within the UK. Costa is the clear chief when it comes to the variety of espresso retailers they’ve. There are greater than 2,400 Costa espresso retailers in comparison with simply over 1,000 Starbucks. Even Greggs, with restricted in-store services, comes out forward of the Seattle-headquartered chain.
7. There are greater than 8,000 branded espresso store chains.
Whereas the espresso store market does have quite a lot of massive chains, together with Costa, Greggs, Starbucks, McCafe, and Nero, there are a lot of, many others. The truth is, there are roughly 8,000 branded espresso store chains within the nation.
8. 80% of those that go to espresso retailers go to a minimum of as soon as every week.
(British Espresso Affiliation)
Causes for visiting espresso retailers embody higher availability of specialist espresso drinks, the convenience in comparison with brewing espresso at dwelling, and the comfort of having the ability to choose up a high quality cup of espresso on a each day commute. These causes imply that 80% of those that do go to espresso retailers achieve this a minimum of as soon as every week.
9. 16% of espresso store guests go to each day.
(British Espresso Affiliation)
Whereas many individuals go to espresso retailers sometimes or on set days of the week, 16% of espresso store guests go to their favorite barista a minimum of as soon as a day.
10. Millennials are the almost definitely era to go to espresso retailers.
Of all of the generations, it’s the millennials, born within the final couple of a long time of the 20th Century, which might be the almost definitely to go to espresso retailers. The truth is, this group got here out on high as being the almost definitely to go to weekly, a number of instances every week, each day, and a number of instances per day. They have been additionally the least prone to say that they by no means visited espresso retailers.
11. Lavazza is the preferred model of recent floor espresso.
Considering all manufacturers of floor espresso, Lavazza is the preferred model within the UK. About 2.28 million individuals declare to make use of this model, with 1.98 million utilizing Taylors of Harrogate, the second hottest floor espresso model.
12. Brits pay £2.75 for a espresso store cappuccino.
Though costs differ based on location, espresso store model, and, after all, the dimensions of the drink, Brits pay a mean of £2.75 for a cappuccino, which is the nation’s favorite espresso drink. This makes it the costliest of the favored drinks, though a latte solely prices pennies much less. Americanos and flat whites price a mean of £2.51 every.
13. 73% of espresso ready at house is prompt espresso.
The Brits love prompt espresso over floor espresso. The truth is, practically three-quarters of all espresso ready at house is of the moment selection. Prompt espresso is most popular as a result of it’s simple and fast to arrange, and likewise as a result of it produces just about the identical flavour and power each time it’s ready.
14. Espresso pod machines are extra well-liked than another kind of espresso machine.
Whereas prompt espresso is essentially the most generally consumed espresso at dwelling, espresso machines are rising in popularity. Of those, it’s pod machines which might be the popular selection of brewing. Once more, this factors to a choice for comfort, ease, and uniformity of drinks. Simply behind espresso pod machines are espresso capsule machines. The 2 are very related, though most pods comprise 7 grams of espresso in comparison with the 5 grams of espresso in capsules.
Additionally, capsules are usually particularly designed for one machine, or a restricted vary of machines, so capsule machine house owners have much less number of espresso accessible to them.
15. On common, Brits spend £16 per 30 days on espresso to drink at dwelling.
Wanting on the UK inhabitants as a complete, the common that an individual spends on espresso at house is £16 per particular person per 30 days. For people who think about themselves espresso lovers, the common expenditure is £25 per particular person per 30 days.
16. 39% of Brits have a espresso machine at dwelling.
Greater than a 3rd of the UK inhabitants has a espresso machine at dwelling. This contains trendy pod and sachet machines, in addition to drip espresso makers and units like French presses. Nevertheless, the kettle stays the preferred espresso maker within the nation.
17. The preferred prompt espresso within the UK is Nescafe.
There are a variety of corporations that profit from the UK’s love of prompt espresso, however it’s Nescafe that leads the market. And, 13.7 million individuals use Nescafe espresso merchandise. About 5 million of these go for the “authentic” selection. That is really down from the 7 million Nescafe Authentic customers reported in 2014.
Espresso vs. Tea
18. The identical variety of individuals eat espresso every single day as people who drink tea.
The UK is called a nation of tea lovers, and it could come as a shock to be taught that the identical proportion of Brits really consumes espresso every single day as people who eat tea. Nevertheless, this doesn’t imply that extra espresso is consumed.
19. 5 instances as many cups of takeaway espresso are offered in comparison with takeaway tea.
In relation to take-away drinks ordered outdoors the house, Brits enormously choose their espresso to tea, however which may be as a result of they don’t belief anyone else to make a great cuppa. 360 million cups of takeaway espresso have been offered over a five-year interval, in comparison with simply 65 million cups of takeaway tea. Because of this a cup of espresso for take-out is offered each 11 seconds.
Often Requested Questions About UK Espresso
Is the Espresso Market Rising within the UK?
The years 2020 and 2021 have been extraordinary years for the espresso trade, with an extra shift in direction of dwelling espresso and away from espresso retailers, because the nation was positioned underneath a number of lockdowns. Nevertheless, even in 2021, espresso chains noticed a 43% progress in comparison with 2020 when particular person actions have been extra restricted. The trade is now estimated to be at 87% of its pre-pandemic stage. (World Espresso Portal)
Do Folks within the UK Like Starbucks?
Costa Espresso is the nation’s hottest espresso store, and a few metrics place Greggs above Starbucks. Nevertheless, Starbucks does rank third within the listing of hottest espresso chains, and it’s the preferred non-UK model. (Statista 4)
Is Costa Owned by Coca-Cola?
In addition to being the most important espresso store chain within the UK, Costa has change into the second-largest chain on this planet, behind solely Starbucks. Because of its rising reputation, Coca-Cola bought Costa in 2019. (Beverage Each day)
What Nation Drinks the Most Espresso?
Finland is the world’s greatest shopper of espresso per capita. They eat 12 kilograms of espresso per capita, which is considerably greater than even the second-placed nation, Norway, the place they eat 9.9 kilograms of espresso per particular person every year.
Espresso is the world’s third hottest beverage after water and tea, and whereas the UK is recognized for its love of tea, it additionally has a burgeoning love affair with espresso. The truth is, the identical variety of individuals confess to ingesting espresso every single day as people who say the identical about tea. Prompt espresso is most popular over home-brewed floor espresso, with the favorite espresso drinks of the nation being lattes, cappuccinos, and flat whites.
Featured Picture Credit score: S Migaj, Unsplash