My tremendous simple Apple Butter recipe is completely spiced with wealthy fall flavors. It takes simply 10 minutes to prep with NO peeling required! Recipe features a how-to video.
All of the Greatest Flavors of Fall in a Jar
Apple butter is the richer, prettier, and maybe extra subtle sister to plain-Jane applesauce. It’s really the embodiment of fall, with colourful crisp apples cooked down and caramelized in spices, brown sugar and vanilla. It tastes nice on absolutely anything, however we find it irresistible unfold over an English muffin or heat scone (heavenly!).
My favourite factor about this apple butter recipe is that there’s NO peeling required! I’ve examined this recipe with peeled and unpeeled apples, and I didn’t discover a distinction between the 2. When cooked for so long as my recipe requires, the peels break down fully and will not be perceptible within the completed product. Save your self the time and skip the peeling!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Simple: solely 10 minutes of prep earlier than the gradual cooker takes over.
- Completely flavored: the apples are the true star, with simply sufficient sugar and spices added to accent them and make a heat, cozy fall taste.
- Plentiful: this recipe makes loads (3 pints!), so that you’ll have some to share or reward (should you’re the beneficiant kind).
- No peeling: saves you SO a lot effort and time.
What You Want
To realize a silky clean and flavorful unfold, you’ll must gradual cook dinner just some easy components:
- Apples. What I really like about my apple butter recipe is that there’s no peeling wanted! Simply core and cube your apples into small, even items. Don’t use a agency, tart apple like Granny Smith; follow softer, sweeter apples like Golden Scrumptious (my favourite all-around apple for many recipes, like my apple turnovers!), Fuji, Gala, or McIntosh. A mix of apples works too!
- Sugar. A mix of brown and white sugar gives depth of taste and helps the apples to interrupt down and caramelize, giving the ultimate product a fantastically wealthy fall taste. Don’t neglect, should you don’t have any readily available simply comply with my tutorial on tips on how to make brown sugar!
- Spices. Plenty of floor cinnamon and a pinch of cloves elevate the flavour of the apples by offering heat and richness.
- Vanilla. A refined trace of vanilla rounds out all of heat flavors. I like to recommend utilizing a vanilla bean when you’ve got one, however in any other case common vanilla extract will work.
SAM’S TIP: The toughest factor about this recipe is ready for it to be achieved. To mitigate this, I usually prefer to prep every part earlier than going to mattress and let it cook dinner whereas I sleep, however please at all times test your individual gradual cooker’s security information earlier than leaving it unattended.
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the components I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
How you can Make Apple Butter
- Core and chop (don’t peel!) your apples and place them within the basin of a gradual cooker.
- Combine collectively spices and sugars. Sprinkle these over the apples and toss to mix.
- Prepare dinner apple combination on low warmth for 10 hours.
- Puree apples. I like to make use of an immersion blender (I linked to the one I take advantage of, affiliate), however you should use an everyday one as a substitute.
- Take away the lid and cook dinner for an additional 2 hours or till the consistency has thickened to your liking.
SAM’S TIP: The extra two hours of cooking may appear to be a ache, however it’s necessary and price it to get the correct consistency. If you’d like an excellent thicker butter, you possibly can proceed to cook dinner yours even longer; however I’ve discovered the 2 hours to be a lot (and have in mind it’s going to proceed to thicken because it cools!).
Incessantly Requested Questions
Usually it’s used as a topping for biscuits or bread, however it’s additionally scrumptious on oatmeal, pancakes, my favourite waffle recipe, crepes, and so on. Some individuals even serve it with scrapple, or you possibly can take my dad’s strategy and luxuriate in it by the spoonful!
Apple butter is usually sweeter, richer, and thicker (extra of a buttery/spreadable consistency). It’s usually a lot darker in coloration than applesauce, largely due to the added components (on this occasion, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and so on) and the caramelization that happens from the longer cook dinner time.
Sure it does. In the event you’d prefer to strive canning yours, that’s an awesome possibility for extending its shelf life exterior of the fridge (I don’t have expertise canning, so I can’t provide any recommendation there, however right here is a information on canning I discovered that needs to be useful.).
Apple butter will get its identify from its butter-like consistency, there’s no precise butter in it. In the event you’re in search of a flavored butter, strive my honey butter as a substitute
In search of extra? Listed here are a few of my favourite fall recipes.
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In the event you do this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and you can too discover me on YouTube and Fb
The Greatest Apple Butter Recipe (No Peeling!)
With its completely spiced, wealthy apple taste and no peeling required, you may be spreading this Apple Butter on every part from scones to scrapple. My recipe is extremely simple because of the assistance of a gradual cooker. You’ll want to try the how-to video!
Servings: 3 pints
Forestall your display from going darkish
Slice apples into small items (about ¼”) and get rid of cores (you don’t want to peel the apples).
Place apples within the basin of enormous gradual cooker
In a medium-sized bowl stir collectively sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cloves till well-combined.
Pour sugar combination over apple items and stir till nicely mixed.
Place lid on crockpot and cook dinner on low warmth for 10 hours.
As soon as 10 hours has elapsed, use an immersion blender to puree apples till clean and no chunks stay (see observe 2 should you would not have an immersion blender).
Scrape the within of the vanilla bean into your apple puree (or add vanilla extract).
Flip crockpot on to low warmth and cook dinner one other 2 hours uncovered, stirring often.
Retailer within the fridge in an hermetic container, the place it’s going to hold about 2 weeks.
I like to recommend utilizing Golden Scrumptious, McIntosh, Fuji, or Gala. Don’t use Granny Smith; they’re too tart and agency for this recipe. Weigh your apples earlier than coring and chopping. Don’t peel them! For me this was about 13 apples however this might differ wildly relying on the dimensions of your apples.
In the event you would not have an immersion blender, pour the apples right into a blender and puree till clean, then return to crockpot. You could must work in batches, relying on the dimensions of your blender.
Retailer apple butter in an hermetic container within the fridge for a number of weeks or freeze for as much as a number of months.
Serving: 0.25cup | Energy: 75kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Fats: 1g | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 23mg | Sugar: 17g | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.
This recipe was initially printed in October of 2017, pictures and recipe stay the identical however textual content has been up to date to be extra useful and I’ve added a how-to video!