My Apple Turnovers recipe is made utterly from scratch with a candy apple filling folded inside my home made flaky, buttery pie crust! They take lower than an hour to make and style SO significantly better than store-bought. Recipe features a how-to video!
Apple Turnovers From Scratch
I’m re-sharing my home made apple turnovers recipe simply in time for the autumn baking season. My model is made utterly from scratch with my flaky (tremendous simple) pie crust recipe and a home made apple pie filling inside.
These are similar to my hand pies and an effective way to make use of up leftover apples from apple choosing. With their buttery, flaky crust and candy caramelized apple filling in each chew, what’s to not love?!
Whereas I sometimes prime my turnovers with a straightforward vanilla glaze, I additionally prefer to sprinkle them with coarse sugar for some added crunch and sparkle. In the event you’re much less of a sugar fiend, you may simply use the sugar or the glaze–however I extremely suggest each!
Why you’ll love my recipe:
- Will be made with pie dough or my simple puff pastry.
- Takes lower than an hour to make.
- Two topping choices: coarse sugar or vanilla glaze (or each!).
- 100% from-scratch!
Only a few elements come collectively to make this simple apple turnover recipe. Most significantly, you’ll want:
- Apples. I like to recommend utilizing a agency, pretty tart apple like Fuji, Gala (my favorites for apple butter or applesauce), or Granny Smith (a extra tart choice!). You’ll want to peel & core the apples earlier than chopping them into small items (lower than ½″).
- Pie crust. You might use pre-made (store-bought) pie dough, however I actually suggest making my home made pie dough (linked within the recipe under). It’s very simple to make and produces completely flaky, flavorful outcomes that I feel makes my apple turnover recipe actually particular.
- Brown sugar. I like utilizing mild brown sugar for the apple filling. Darkish brown sugar will be substituted, however it’s going to make your turnovers richer and sweeter.
- Cornstarch. This helps to thicken our apple filling.
- Coarse sugar. That is optionally available, however I really like sprinkling it on the turnovers earlier than they go within the oven. It offers them a crisp, sparkly exterior!
SAM’S TIP: It’ll seem to be quite a lot of (possibly even too many) apples while you first add them to your pan, however they’ll cook dinner right down to be simply sufficient to fill your crust. Be certain to let the filling cool earlier than including it to your dough, in any other case you run the chance of melting your pastry dough.
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
The way to Make Apple Turnovers
- Mix apple filling elements in a saucepan and cook dinner, stirring incessantly.
- As soon as the butter melts, improve the warmth and let the combination simmer for five minutes. The apples will develop into tender and the sauce will thicken.
- Take away apple combination from warmth and stir in vanilla, then put aside to chill whilst you roll out your pie dough.
- Minimize the dough into squares (I like to make use of a ruler to make mine even, however possibly you’re higher at eyeballing this than I’m!).
- Switch the pastry squares to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush calmly with egg wash. Now scoop the cooled apple turnover filling onto ready squares, putting them simply off heart.
- Fold the squares over the apple filling and use a fork to crimp the sides.
- Brush the tops of the turnovers with egg wash and vent with a pointy knife earlier than sprinkling with sugar (if utilizing, which it is best to!).
- Bake for 25 minutes and let cool utterly earlier than drizzling with glaze.
SAM’S TIP: In the event you do discover that your dough turns into too tender to handle, simply return it to the fridge for a couple of minutes and it ought to rapidly develop into agency sufficient to handle. You can even do that with the assembled turnovers if they appear too tender or melty earlier than you pop them within the oven (this will simply occur on a heat day!).
Steadily Requested Questions
Sure! These will be frozen earlier than or after baking. If freezing earlier than, I’d suggest freezing on a baking sheet first to agency up the exteriors earlier than wrapping and storing in a ziploc bag or hermetic container. While you’re able to bake, you are able to do so from frozen; they’ll simply want a couple of minutes longer within the oven.
Sure! You’ll want one batch of my home made puff pastry or two sheets of store-bought puff pastry.
If you wish to make them last more, sure. They’ll preserve for two days at room temperature (I like to recommend masking them) however will preserve for five days if refrigerated. They’re finest when contemporary although!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! In the event you do this recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and you may also discover me on YouTube and Fb
Apple Turnovers Recipe
Servings: 10 turnovers
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 400F (205C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
Start making ready apple filling by combining chopped apples, brown sugar, butter, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low warmth.
Cook dinner, stirring incessantly, till butter is melted. Improve warmth to medium and proceed to cook dinner, bringing combination to a simmer. Simmer for five minutes, stirring sometimes. Combination ought to thicken barely.
Take away from warmth and stir in vanilla extract. Enable combination to chill earlier than filling pie dough.
Put together turnover dough: Divide pie crust in half and roll out one half onto a clear, calmly floured floor. Roll right into a rectangle between ⅛”-¼” thick.
Utilizing a pizza cutter or sharp knife, neatly lower dough into 4 ½” squares and switch to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining half of dough (observe: you will want to assemble the scraps and re-roll them out to make all 10 turnovers).
Put together egg wash by whisking collectively egg and water. Use a pastry brush to calmly brush the floor of every pastry sq. with egg wash.
Portion about 1½ Tablespoons of filling simply off heart of every sq.. Gently fold over one nook to the touch the opposite to envelope the apple filling. Use the tines of a fork to press and seal the turnovers. Repeat with remaining turnovers.
Brush the surface of every turnover calmly with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar (or common granulated sugar), if desired. Use a pointy knife to chop 2-3 small slits to vent.
Switch to heart rack of 400F (205C) oven and bake for 25 minutes, till pastry is starting to show golden brown.
Enable to chill earlier than topping with icing (if desired).
Whisk collectively powdered sugar, 1 Tablespoon of milk, and vanilla extract. If combination is just too dry, add further milk, a splash at a time, till combination ribbons off the spoon.
Drizzle glaze over cooled turnovers, and luxuriate in.
I like to recommend utilizing a tart, agency apple like Gala, Fuji, or Granny Smith, however nearly any apple will work right here!
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 2 days, within the fridge in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days, or tightly wrap and freeze for as much as a number of months.
Serving: 1turnover | Energy: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 3g | Fats: 12g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 5g | Trans Fats: 0.1g | Ldl cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 180mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 136IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.
This recipe was initially printed October of 2017. I’ve made small edits to the stream of the recipe to make it simpler to observe and have added new images, a brand new video, and new textual content that I hope is useful!