This Beef Bourguignon is a tackle a traditional French stew.
This stew has a deep wealthy taste from pink wine. Tender chunks of beef, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes and bacon are cooked collectively for the right meal.
Don’t let the flowery identify of this dish scare you! It’s a dish that Julia Baby was well-known for and whereas it does want a while, it’s really not tough to make.
What’s Beef Bourguignon?
Carrots, onions, mushrooms, and garlic spherical out this one-pot meal. The entire thing bakes within the oven till tender.
Substances for Beef Bourguignon
This recipe is a simplified model of Julia Baby’s Beef Bourguignon with the steps considerably simplified (and components barely tailored).
Beef When selecting meat for stew or bourguignon, I favor chuck beef as a result of it comes out so tender however stewing meat works nicely too. Select well-marbled beef and trim any giant chunks of fats.
Greens – Any root vegetable will work on this recipe. If yow will discover pearl onions, substitute these, they’re so good in stew!
Potatoes – Child potatoes maintain their form nicely and require no peeling nonetheless Yukon gold or pink potatoes will work too. Russet potatoes (or baking potatoes) are extra grainy and don’t maintain their form as nicely.
I add the potatoes in however you’ll be able to go away them out and serve this dish over mashed potatoes as a substitute.
Seasonings Herbs like thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf improve the flavour of this slow-cooked masterpiece. Contemporary or dried will work.
Wine for Beef Bourguignon
Wine is used to taste the broth on this recipe. Select a dry pink, like pinot noir, burgundy, cabernet sauvignon, or merlot, this provides the wealthy taste that makes this recipe so well-known!
Wine for cooking doesn’t must be costly however select a wine you wouldn’t thoughts ingesting. Don’t use cooking wine on this recipe, the flavour isn’t nice.
Most frequently, I’ll supply a suggestion to switch alcohol in recipes nonetheless the wine is the ahead taste on this dish (identical to coq au vin).
Whilst you might substitute it with beef inventory, on this case, I’d counsel making a beef stew with flavors that aren’t so depending on wine.
Whereas there are variations of non-alcoholic wine, I discover they’re typically extra juice-like, and relying on the model, they could not work nicely on this recipe. If the recipes beneath name for wine, it’s in a smaller amount and might be substituted with additional broth.
How one can Make Beef Bourguignon
- Fry the bacon in a big dutch oven. Take away the bacon with a slotted spoon however preserve the fats within the pan per the recipe beneath.
- Dab the meat dry with a paper towel. Sear in small batches in single layers within the bacon grease over medium-high warmth. Take away from pan.
- Saute onions and carrots (with a little bit of flour).
- Add beef again to the pot and stir in herbs, wine, and remaining components.
- Cowl with a lid and bake in line with the recipe beneath.
Add cooked bacon as a garnish after the stew is cooked.
Ideas for Perfection
Beef Bourguignon sounds tremendous fancy, however with only a few methods and suggestions it may be tremendous straightforward!
- Select beef that’s well-marbled like chuck roast and trim off seen fats.
- Don’t stir the meat an excessive amount of when searing. This helps it get a pleasant crust.
- Add a tablespoon or two of butter or olive oil when cooking the onion and carrot if wanted.
- Low and gradual is the important thing to nice taste (and texture) on this recipe. We favor to oven-bake this stew however you’ll be able to frivolously simmer bourguignon on the range.
- You possibly can thicken the sauce with slightly little bit of cornstarch slurry (combine equal elements cornstarch & chilly water and add to the new broth a bit at a time to thicken).
- Add within the bacon on the finish however go away slightly bit to garnish too!
What to Serve With Beef Bourguignon
Did your loved ones love this Beef Bourguignon? Be sure you go away a score and a remark beneath!
Beef Bourguignon Recipe
Beef Bourguignon is a chic, flavorful dish filled with recent veggies and tender beef.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Cook dinner bacon till crisp. Take away bacon from the pan leaving the fats within the backside of the pan.
Dab the meat dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Brown within the bacon fats in small batches. Take away from the pan and put aside.
Add onions and carrot to the pan and cook dinner 2-3 minutes or simply till the onion begins to melt. Add beef again to the pan, stir in flour, and cook dinner 2-3 minutes.
Add broth, wine, mushrooms, potatoes (if utilizing), tomato paste, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf. Cowl and bake 2 ½ to three hours.
Take away bay leaf, stir in bacon, and serve.
Select beef that’s nicely marbled and trim off seen fats (chuck is our favourite).
Select a dry pink wine, like Pinot Noir, Cabernet, or Merlot.
Add within the bacon on the finish however go away slightly bit to garnish too!
To Thicken stew additional after baking, mix equal elements cornstarch and water. Add to simmering stew slightly bit at a time whereas whisking to achieve desired consistency.
Energy: 753 | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 56g | Fats: 41g | Saturated Fats: 17g | Ldl cholesterol: 181mg | Sodium: 1204mg | Potassium: 1927mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3578IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 7mg
Vitamin data supplied is an estimate and can fluctuate based mostly on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photograph use coverage right here.