These mushy Birthday Cake Cookies are topped with a superbly candy cream cheese frosting and birthday cake crumbs. My recipe is 100% from-scratch, a number of enjoyable to make, and takes simply 45 minutes to prep! Recipe features a how-to video!
The BEST Birthday Cake Cookies Recipe
When the birthday cake craving hits, skip the full-sized ordeal and make these birthday cake cookies as a substitute! My 100% from-scratch recipe is made with out cake combine and consists of sentimental, tender cookies topped with a candy (however not too candy) cream cheese frosting. These are as decadent as a slice of funfetti cake (with the textures to match!) all wrapped up in a cookie!
To essentially take these excessive, I’m including my crisp, cake batter-flavored confetti crumbs that I simply shared earlier this week. After all, you possibly can all the time simply use sprinkles, however I like to recommend making an attempt the recipe as written a minimum of as soon as.
What You Want
There are fairly a number of components within the photograph above, so I’ll simply spotlight a very powerful ones:
- Cake flour. I discover that cake flour gives the most effective texture and taste for each the cookies themselves and the cake crumbs. It creates a finer, softer crumb and I simply wasn’t as thrilled with the outcomes when all-purpose flour was substituted.
- Cream cheese. This retains our icing from being too candy and provides to the birthday cake taste. With a candy cookie and candy icing, the refined tang of the cream cheese frosting tempers the general sweetness of the cookies. Use brick-style cream cheese (not the spreadable variety!).
- Vanilla. I take advantage of clear vanilla within the cookies and icing so as to add that basic “cake batter” taste everyone knows and love. It’s completely a man-made taste, but it surely’s what you consider if you suppose “birthday cake”. After all you possibly can all the time use common vanilla extract as a substitute.
- Confetti crumbs. These are optionally available, however I extremely suggest making them! You possibly can whip them up whereas your dough is chilling.
SAM’S TIP: Be at liberty to paint your frosting! I desire to make use of gel meals coloring for this because it has a extra vibrant coloration than liquid dyes.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the submit!
Tips on how to Make Birthday Cake Cookies
- Cream collectively the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and vanilla and stir nicely.
- Mix the dry components in a separate bowl, then steadily add them to the moist components.
- Type the dough right into a disc, wrap tightly, and chill for a minimum of an hour. The dough is simply too sticky to handle with out chilling.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a frivolously floured floor, lower it into 2″ circles, and place on a parchment lined sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes and let cool fully earlier than frosting.
- Put together the frosting (it’s easy, simply cream the whole lot collectively till easy!).
- Pipe or unfold your frosting onto the cooled cookies.
- Prime the cookies with confetti crumbs and sprinkles.
SAM’S TIP: I like to interrupt up my confetti crumbs earlier than including them to my cookies. To do that, I merely place them in a ziploc bag and smack them with a rolling pin till they’re smaller and softer. This works higher than the bigger clumps you sometimes have once they’re first baked.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Due to the quantity of sugar within the frosting (and since they don’t sometimes last more than 48 hours in my home), I don’t really feel the necessity to refrigerate the cookies. Please do what you are feeling is most secure in your family!
These cookies needs to be cakey, mushy, and melt-in-your-mouth. If yours are dry or robust, you almost certainly over-baked them. They need to nonetheless be very pale if you pull them out of the oven.
I feel you’re actually going to love these 😊
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! When you do that recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Fb
Birthday Cake Cookies
Servings: 22 cookies
Forestall your display from going darkish
Mix softened butter and granulated sugar in a big bowl and use an electrical mixer (or stand mixer) to beat till gentle, creamy, and well-combined.
Stir in egg, egg white, and vanilla extract till fully integrated.
In a separate bowl, whisk collectively cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
Step by step add the dry components to the moist components, stirring on low-speed till fully mixed (I’ll normally add the flour combination in 4 components, stirring till just-combined after every addition).
Type dough right into a 1” thick disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour earlier than continuing (notice: whereas the dough chills you possibly can put together your confetti crumbs, linked within the components checklist above).
As soon as dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or bake cookies instantly on ungreased cookie sheet).
Take away chilled dough from the fridge and switch to a clear, frivolously floured floor. Use a rolling pin to roll dough to be between ¼-½” (about 1 cm) thick (see notice when you’ve got any problem).
Use a 2” (5cm) spherical cookie cutter to chop out cookies as shut collectively as attainable and place on ready baking sheet, spacing cookies a minimum of 2” (5cm) aside.
Bake in 350F (175C) oven for 8-10 minutes. Permit cookies to chill on their baking sheet for a minimum of 5-10 minutes earlier than rigorously eradicating to a cooling rack to chill fully earlier than adorning.
Mix butter and cream cheese and use an electrical mixer to stir collectively till easy, creamy, and lump-free.
Step by step add powdered sugar till fully mixed.
Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
Pipe or unfold frosting over cooled cookies (I take advantage of a ½” open tip for piping). Instantly high with confetti crumbs, if utilizing (or simply high with sprinkles!).
Clear vanilla extract
“Clear” vanilla extract is imitation vanilla. It has a extra synthetic style that many individuals affiliate with a birthday cake or cake batter taste. Utilizing it in these recipes will give your cookies extra of that taste, however chances are you’ll completely substitute common vanilla extract as a substitute (I sometimes do as I desire to keep away from synthetic flavors, however I would like you to know your choices!)..
Issue rolling dough
If the dough is simply too sticky to roll, return it to the fridge to relax for longer. If it’s nonetheless too sticky, double-check that you haven’t mis-measured any components, however you possibly can mud with flour to make it manageable. If the dough is simply too tough to roll and/or is cracking, let it sit at room temperature for a bit earlier than making an attempt to roll once more).
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 4 days. You may additionally wrap nicely and freeze for a number of months.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 3g | Fats: 13g | Saturated Fats: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Trans Fats: 0.4g | Ldl cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 403IU | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.