The proper pastry package deal, these Candy Potato Hand Pies cover the welcome shock of a spiced brown sugar-laden candy potato filling. Drizzled with a heat glaze, every one is the buttery celebration of autumn’s sweetest tuber.
Candy Potato Hand Pies
- 1¼ cups (284 grams) unsalted butter
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons (6.75 grams) plus ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup (120 grams) ice water
- ½ cup (118 grams) puréed cooked peeled candy potato (see Word)
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) firmly packed mild brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon floor cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon floor ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 1 massive egg (50 grams), frivolously crushed
- Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: turbinado sugar
- Dice butter, and freeze for half-hour.
- Within the work bowl of a meals processor, place flour and 2¼ teaspoons (6.75 grams) salt; pulse till mixed. Add frozen butter; pulse till butter is dime-size. With processor operating, add ½ cup (120 grams) ice water in a sluggish, regular stream simply till dough comes collectively and types a ball. End up dough onto a frivolously floured floor; form right into a 6-inch sq.. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for no less than half-hour.
- On a frivolously floured floor, roll dough right into a 15×7½-inch rectangle, frivolously flouring floor as wanted to stop sticking. Fold dough in thirds, like a letter, and switch 90 levels. Repeat process twice. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for no less than 20 minutes
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide dough in half. On a frivolously floured floor, roll 1 portion right into a 12×9-inch rectangle, frivolously flouring floor and dough as wanted to stop sticking. Utilizing a pastry wheel, minimize dough into 9 rectangles (about 4×3 inches every). Place evenly spaced on a ready pan, and refrigerate; repeat process with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small bowl, stir collectively candy potato, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt; divide candy potato combination amongst 9 dough rectangles (about 2½ teaspoons [16 grams] every); utilizing a small offset spatula, unfold candy potato combination evenly inside every rectangle, leaving a ¼- to ½-inch border round edges. Brush egg onto border of every rectangle; prime every with a second dough rectangle. Utilizing the tines of a fork, crimp edges to seal every pastry pocket; brush egg onto dough, and poke tops 3 to 4 instances with tines of fork. Utilizing a small sharp knife, trim rectangles to create cleaner edges, if desired.
- Bake till puffed and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on pans for no less than 10 minutes. Simply earlier than serving, spoon and unfold Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Glaze onto hand pies, working shortly. Garnish instantly with turbinado sugar, if desired. Serve heat or at room temperature.
Word: We like the intense coloration and comfort of utilizing pre-cubed uncooked candy potatoes, offered in 1-pound luggage within the produce division of most grocery shops. Prepare dinner in response to package deal course. Purée in a meals processor till largely clean.
Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Glaze
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed mild brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup (60 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon (1.5 grams) floor cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan, mix butter, brown sugar, and salt; prepare dinner over medium-low warmth, stirring continuously, till melted and effectively mixed. Stir in cream; deliver to a boil over medium warmth, stirring continuously. Instantly take away from warmth; stir in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon till effectively mixed. Use instantly.