This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my full disclosure for particulars.
Hello Daring Bakers!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE: My Cheddar Pecan Savory Shortbread recipe yields addicting savory, crispy, and crumbly cookies. You can also make it multi functional bowl, and it doesn’t include eggs!
As a lot of you Daring Bakers know, numerous baked items are usually candy – and rightfully so! Whereas many people love a candy deal with to fulfill our candy tooth, a few of it’s possible you’ll desire one thing on the saltier facet.
That’s why I’ve taken a typical shortbread recipe and added a savory twist! My Cheddar Pecan Savory Shortbread is the right cookie for many who take pleasure in a saltier, savory snack. It’s filled with sharp, salty cheddar cheese and crunchy toasted pecans. Consider it or not, it will get higher! This recipe solely requires 4 components and doesn’t include any eggs.
Shortbread is tasty any time of the 12 months, so it’s an important deal with to have as a celebration appetizer by itself or to brighten your cheese plates. In lower than half-hour, you’ll put together an exquisite crumbly Cheddar Pecan Shortbread to take pleasure in by your self or share with family and friends. Attempt it out!
Desk Of Contents
What Is Cheddar Pecan Savory Shortbread?
Shortbread is a kind of buttery cookie, biscuit, or pastry often fabricated from butter, sugar, and flour. It will get its title from its crumbly texture as a result of “brief” used to imply crumbly and dry again within the day. Shortbread is among the hottest cookie varieties due to its versatility. The cookie itself is fairly easy, so including completely different mix-ins equivalent to dried fruits, nuts, cheeses, and chocolate spice it up!
On this recipe, I made a decision to create the final word savory shortbread with additional sharp cheddar cheese and toasted pecans. Be happy to experiment with completely different sorts of cheeses and nuts for limitless savory shortbread mixtures.
Components You Want To Make Cheddar Pecan Shortbread:
- Butter: Butter will enhance the flavour and moisture of your shortbread. Be happy to make use of salted or unsalted butter, however you’ll want to soften it.
- Cheddar cheese: Use finely grated, additional sharp cheddar cheese so as to add an important tacky kick to your shortbread.
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour usually has a protein content material of 8-11%, making it good for these shortbread cookies in order that they aren’t too chewy or elastic.
- Pecans: Toasted pecans are nice for including crunchy texture and nutty taste. Finely cube them earlier than incorporating them into your dough.
How To Make Cheddar Pecan Shortbread:
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, beat collectively the butter and cheddar cheese with a whisk or paddle attachment till clean.
- Fold the flour into your butter and cheese combination till simply mixed, after which stir within the diced pecans.
- Flatten the dough right into a disc, wrap effectively, and refrigerate till agency. It’s also possible to roll your dough right into a log form.
- When able to bake, preheat the oven and line baking pans with parchment paper. Put aside.
- On a evenly floured floor, use a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough, and use a spherical cookie cutter to chop as many 1/4th inch-thick circles as you possibly can. Should you rolled your dough right into a log, you possibly can lower slices as an alternative. Place them aside in your parchment-lined baking pan. Collect and reroll any scraps.
- Prick the shortbread throughout with a toothpick and bake till the cookies look dry and baked by way of.
- Take away from the oven and let cool utterly on a wire rack earlier than serving.
How To Toast Pecans
Toasting pecans is a crucial step in making this shortbread as a result of it would make them even crunchier and convey out an excellent nuttier taste.
To toast your pecans, preheat your oven to 350℉ (180℃). On a baking sheet, unfold out your pecans evenly and place them within the preheated oven for 4 to five minutes. As soon as they start to brown and you can begin smelling the nuttiness, take them out of the oven, and toss them midway by way of. Proceed toasting them for one more 4 to five minutes. Take away them from the oven, and allow them to calm down earlier than dicing and incorporating them into your shortbread dough.
Gluten-Free Cheddar Pecan Savory Shortbread
As talked about earlier than, there are solely 4 components on this recipe! That being mentioned, we need to make each ingredient substitutable for all bakers. Should you’d wish to make gluten-free Cheddar and Pecan Shortbread, try my Information to Gluten-Free Flours.
Can I Make Cheddar Pecan Shortbread In Advance?
Sure! Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and depart it within the fridge till you’re able to bake it off. I recommend baking your refrigerated dough inside 3 days or storing it within the freezer for as much as 2 months. If you’re baking from frozen, let it defrost within the fridge in a single day.
How To Retailer Cheddar Pecan Shortbread
You probably have leftover baked Cheddar and Pecan Shortbread, retailer them in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 3 days, within the fridge for as much as every week, or within the freezer for as much as 2 months. If you’re freezing, place parchment paper between the person shortbread in order that they don’t stick collectively.
Why is my shortbread so arduous?
Your Cheddar Pecan Savory Shortbread might prove arduous should you overwork your dough. Combine simply till mixed to stop this subject from occurring.
Why is my shortbread falling aside?
This shortbread will likely be barely crumbly, but it surely shouldn’t crumble too simply. Make certain to make use of butter on this recipe as an alternative of different fats sources equivalent to oil or else your cookies might lack the mandatory gluten and lead to a crumbly, unstructured cookie.
What ought to I do if I don’t have a stand mixer, electrical hand mixer, or meals processor?
Although utilizing a stand mixer, electrical hand mixer, or meals processor will make your job quite a bit simpler, there’s nothing just a little elbow grease can’t repair. Use a whisk and silicone spatula to completely mix all components.
Gemma’s Professional Chef Ideas:
- Make sure to use additional sharp aged cheddar cheese on this recipe for the very best taste!
- In case your cheese isn’t as salty or sharp as you’d like, you possibly can sprinkle about 1/4th teaspoon salt (kosher salt or sea salt) and 1/eighth teaspoon black pepper into your dough.
- At all times bear in mind to toast your pecans! It’s very straightforward to toast nuts and they’re much extra flavorful this fashion.
- This dough may be refrigerated for as much as 3 days earlier than rolling and baking or frozen for as much as 2 months. Defrost in a single day within the fridge.
- You need to use different-shaped cookie cutters or simply use a knife to chop squares or rectangles if you want.
- These crackers can be a stunning addition to a cheese plate.
And don’t miss extra on a regular basis baking recipes in my NEW Larger Bolder Baking Each Day Cookbook!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.