Ensalada de Coditos con Jamon recipe is a Puerto Rican traditional! This simple and flavorful macaroni salad is made with mayo, mustard, peas, ham, and all types of different goodies. An actual crowd-pleaser!
An Straightforward, Basic Puerto Rican Facet Dish
Ensalada de coditos con jamon (translation: macaroni salad with ham) is one thing everybody in Puerto Rico loves. It’s a staple throughout the holidays, at events, for cookouts, you title it. For a very festive meal, particularly round Christmas, ensalada de coditos is served with Pernil – Puerto Rican slow-roasted pork shoulder with crispy pores and skin. Yum.
Along with the creamy, savory, full-bodied taste on this dish, ensalada de coditos con jamon is a simple recipe that shops effectively, which makes it good for mixing up prematurely. In Puerto Rico, many recipes for this pasta salad name for jamonilla, which is lunchmeat or Spam. Sure, Spam! However for those who’re probably not up for that, diced deli ham or chopped baked ham would work very effectively, too.
Not a fan of ham? Try my recipe for Ensalada De Coditos!
The Record of Elements
These components are what you have to to make genuine, Puerto-Rican-style pasta salad. In fact, the recipe is versatile, so be happy to make substitutions as wanted.
- Pasta: Elbow pasta is a favourite for this dish.
- Eggs: Exhausting boiled eggs add protein and nice texture.
- Mayonnaise: The bottom of the dressing is mayonnaise – be happy to make use of your favourite model.
- Yellow Mustard: Only a bit, for tanginess and further taste.
- Pimientos and Pimiento Juice: Fancy pimientos, also referred to as pimiento morrón, may be discovered within the ethnic meals aisle. They’re additionally typically stocked close to the pickles, olives, and so on. Chop up some for the salad, and reserve a few tablespoons of the briny juice for the dressing.
- Salt and Pepper: White pepper is nice, or you need to use common pepper.
- Olive Oil and Butter
- Onion: For this recipe, I like to recommend finely grating the onion, moderately than chopping or dicing.
- Peas: Search for canned peas marked “very younger candy peas” or “petit pois.” Drain the peas effectively earlier than including them to the salad.
- Ham: Diced ham, or Spam. I make this anytime I’ve any leftover Crockpot Ham too.
The way to Make Ensalada de Coditos con Jamon
One of many secrets and techniques to this dish is coating the cooked pasta in slightly melted butter earlier than including the opposite components. Yum! Plus, the feel is out of this world.
- Cook dinner the Pasta and Put together the Eggs. Carry an enormous pot of salted water to boil. I wish to have the water pretty salty, including about 2 tablespoons of salt to the water. Cook dinner the pasta based on the package deal instructions, aiming for an al dente texture. Whereas that’s cooking, peel and rinse the exhausting boiled eggs. Drop them right into a bowl, and use a fork to interrupt and mash them into small items. Set the eggs apart.
Make the Dressing. Because the elbow pasta continues to cook dinner, get out one other medium-sized bowl, and whisk collectively the dressing components (mayonnaise, mustard, pimiento juice, salt, and pepper). Set this apart, additionally.
Grate the Onion and Mix with Olive Oil. Finely grate the onion. You are able to do this with a meals processor, blender, or the small holes of a cheese grater. Place in a small dish, add the olive oil, and stir along with a spoon. Let this sit for a bit.
Butter the Pasta. By now, the pasta might be about finished cooking. As soon as it’s al dente, drain it effectively and place it in a big bowl. Add the butter, and stir to let the butter soften and coat all the elbows.
End the Pasta Salad. Now we’re prepared to combine all of it collectively! Scoop the mayonnaise dressing and grated onions with oil into the pasta. Stir gently however completely to mix. Then fold in your mashed exhausting boiled eggs, chopped pimientos, peas, and ham, being cautious to not smush the extra delicate components.
Get pleasure from! The ensalada de coditos con jamon may be served instantly, or you may chill it first. I extremely suggest chilling it for at the very least 4 hours earlier than serving – so refreshing.
As all the time, it’s nice to share these useful hints and cook dinner’s notes! Every simple concept is an effective way to tweak or convey out the most effective on this beloved Puerto Rican pasta salad. Right here we go:
- Olives: In case you love the briny, salty style of olives, be happy to stir some in! It is a actually widespread variation. Go for about half a cup of sliced manzanilla olives.
- Celery: A little bit of diced celery (about one cup is ideal) is an effective way so as to add crisp, cool, crunch. (Okay, now I’m actually hungry!)
- Cheese: Rising up, I keep in mind individuals including diced cheddar cheese to their ensalada de coditos con jamon. I personally don’t look after the addition of cheese, however lots of people find it irresistible!
- Chilled Is Nice: The colder this pasta salad is, the higher. I retailer it within the fridge till proper earlier than serving.
- Make Forward: As famous beneath, you may retailer this within the fridge for as much as three days, which is tremendous useful if it’s essential make it prematurely. If the pasta salad dries out slightly an excessive amount of throughout storage, no worries – simply add slightly further mayo or olive oil, and provides it a very good stir.
What to Serve with Ensalada de Conditos con Jamon
Since this can be a widespread recipe to make for holidays and events, you may all the time serve it together with your favourite social gathering meals, from summery barbecue dishes to a lineup of Thanksgiving casseroles. Listed below are just a few of my household’s tried-and-true favorites.
- Pernil: Pork shoulder (or leg) is marinated for at the very least 12 hours after which slow-roasted for about 5 extra hours. This conventional recipe makes the most effective Pernil ever, and is completely good for the vacations.
- Barbecue: Any type of barbecue dinner is ideal with ensalada de coditos con jamon. Do this Straightforward BBQ Oven Pulled Hen for a family-friendly feast!
- Steak: A serving of Juicy Flank Steak, a scoop of this creamy pasta salad, and a few maduros could be simply in regards to the good weeknight dinner, don’t you suppose?
Storing the Leftovers
Leftover ensalada de coditos con jamon shops effectively within the fridge, for about three days. Preserve it tightly coated, or switch it to an hermetic container for max freshness. It’s possible you’ll want so as to add slightly further mayo if it dries out a short while within the fridge.
Can I Freeze Ensalada de Conditos con Jamon?
Sure, you may freeze this for about three months, however remember the dressing (mayo particularly) could separate when thawed…it doesn’t all the time occur, nevertheless it’s a threat you are taking when freezing a creamy pasta salad.. Simply place the cooled ensalada de coditos con jamon in an hermetic container, and retailer within the freezer till you’re prepared to make use of it. Thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Cook dinner Time
- 16 oz elbow pasta
- 4 exhausting boiled eggs
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons pimento juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely grated (about ½ c. grated white onion)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup fancy pimentos chopped (also referred to as pimiento morrón)
- 1 can (8.5 oz) very younger candy peas or petit pois, drained
- 1 cup diced ham (or Spam)
- In a big pot, cook dinner pasta in well-salted water (I normally add about 2 tablespoons of salt to the water) based on package deal instructions, till al-dente.
- Whereas pasta is cooking, place the hard-boiled eggs in a small bowl and “mash” them in a bowl with a fork into small items. Put aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the mayo, mustard, pimento juice, salt and white pepper, whisking till effectively mixed. Put aside.
- In a meals processor or blender, finely grate the onion after which add the olive oil. Put aside. (It’s also possible to grate the onion by hand with a cheese grater after which stir to mix with the olive oil.)
- As soon as pasta is completed cooking, drain the pasta and switch it to a big mixing bowl and add the butter. (The warmth from the pasta will soften the butter.) Stir the pasta till butter is melted and is coating the pasta.
- Add the mayo sauce and onion/olive oil combination to the buttered pasta and blend till effectively mixed. Then fold within the mashed hard-boiled egg, pimentos, candy peas and ham.
- You’ll be able to serve it instantly, however I like to recommend refrigerating it for at the very least 4 hours earlier than serving.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 731Complete Fats: 55gSaturated Fats: 11gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 42gLdl cholesterol: 164mgSodium: 783mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 17g
Extra Latin Recipes
This put up could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.