Selfmade smoked turkey legs are extremely scrumptious. A easy brine retains turkey legs moist whereas smoking. A home made seasoning rub provides these smoked turkey legs one of the best taste.
This put up comprises affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fall Off The Bone Smoked Turkey Legs
Outdoors of Thanksgiving, you’ll be hard-pressed to search out turkey aside from within the type of deli meat in most houses. That’s a disgrace as a result of turkey is a scrumptious and more healthy different to purple meat and pork. And it may be a variety of enjoyable, too.
Ask anybody who has tried Disney smoked turkey legs or purchased a large turkey leg at a Renaissance Honest or Festivals! In case you are on the lookout for one thing a little bit completely different, do this recipe.
Why Selfmade Cooked Smoked Turkey Legs Are Higher Than Any You Can Purchase at a Concession Stand
Business smoked turkey legs are ready in bulk and infrequently with the most affordable substances a enterprise can discover. However when you possibly can management the standard of the meat and every part else that goes into the dish, you’ll naturally wind up with a extra scrumptious meal.
Ought to You Brine Turkey Legs Earlier than Smoking?
Completely. Smoking is a protracted, scorching course of that may rapidly dry out lean turkey legs. So, to ensure that you’re not making an attempt to choke down turkey with the consistency of shoe leather-based, take the additional step and brine your legs.
Elements You Will Want
For this smoked turkey legs recipe, begin with:
This recipe makes 4 giant turkey legs. Be at liberty to double and even triple the recipe if you wish to smoke extra meat.
For the smoked turkey legs brine, you’ll want:
- Granulated white sugar
- Black peppercorns
- Seasoned salt
- Bay leaves
Use Lawry’s or your favourite model of seasoned salt.
To make the dry rub for the turkey legs, you’ll want:
- Candy paprika
- Smoked paprika
- Floor black pepper
- Mild brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
The way to Make Smoked Turkey Legs in Electrical Smoker
To brine the turkey legs:
- Mix all of the substances for the brine in a container that’s giant sufficient to carry the meat however sufficiently small to suit into the fridge. A shallow plastic meals storage field with a lid is ideal.
- Give the brine a very good stir. Add the turkey legs as soon as the sugar and salt dissolve. Make it possible for the brine covers the turkey legs utterly. You should utilize sous vide sinker weights to make sure the meat stays submerged.
- Go away the turkey legs to brine within the fridge for at the very least 4 hours however ideally between 8 and 12 hours.
- After brining, drain, and rinse off the turkey legs. Place them on a wire rack over a rimmed baking tray to dry. You’ll want to sanitize the sink the place you rinsed off the turkey meat to keep away from cross-contaminating the realm.
To season the turkey legs with the dry rub:
- Pat the brined turkey legs dry with a paper towel.
- Fastidiously pull down the pores and skin of the turkey leg with out tearing it. Use a pointy boning knife to chop the membranes that maintain the pores and skin in place.
- After exposing many of the meat, coat it liberally with the dry rub.
- Gently pull the turkey pores and skin again into place, and season the pores and skin with a further mild sprinkling of dry rub.
To smoke the turkey legs:
- Preheat the smoker to 250 levels F.
- Place the brined and seasoned turkey legs on the highest rack of the smoke.
- Shut the lid and smoke the turkey legs till they cook dinner totally. The right smoked turkey legs inside temp is 165 levels F. See under for extra particulars about timing.
How Lengthy To Cook dinner Smoked Turkey Drumstick
When you want a ballpark determine for planning functions, most turkey legs will attain 165°F inside two to 3 hours, relying on their dimension. Nonetheless, it’s important to go by the precise inside temperature of the turkey legs on the thickest a part of the meat.
Which means it’s essential to have a very good instant-read thermometer. In case your turkey legs range in dimension, examine the smallest ones after two hours, and take away them from the smoker as they attain the right temperature.
To examine the interior temp of a turkey leg accurately, slide an instant-read thermometer into the rooster leg from the highest and alongside the bone to the thickest a part of the drumstick.
What Sides Go With Smoked Turkey Legs
Do you marvel what to serve with smoked turkey legs? Properly, this Smoked Turkey Legs recipe is filled with taste, so the edges must be a bit on the tasteless aspect. Any type of potato dish is sweet.
It’s also possible to strive mac and cheese or get a little bit uncommon by serving Ambrosia Fruit Salad! You may be shocked how nicely the acidity of the fruit pairs with the spicy richness of the smoked turkey!
How To Retailer Leftover Turkey Legs
This recipe requires a variety of time between preparation, brining, and smoking. So, why not make some additional and save them for an additional day?
You possibly can preserve the additional smoked turkey within the fridge for a couple of week, however the longer you retailer them, the drier they are going to grow to be.
To refrigerate, cool the turkey legs to room temperature and wrap them in plastic wrap or butcher paper and place them in a container with a tight-fitting lid to assist stop the opposite gadgets within the fridge from smelling like smoke.
To freeze any leftovers from this smoked turkey legs recipe, cowl tightly in plastic wrap or butcher paper after which wrap in aluminum foil. Put the smoked turkey in an hermetic freezer-safe container and freezer for as much as three months.
The way to Reheat Smoked Turkey Legs
Leftover smoked turkey legs are nice chilly, but when you’ll warmth them, don’t spoil all that work by being lazy. There are numerous methods to rewarm this recipe, however some are higher than others:
The way to Reheat Smoked Turkey Legs within the Oven
Warming thawed turkey legs within the oven might be one of the best heating technique in case you have the time:
- Preheat the oven to 325 levels.
- Pour 1 / 4 cup of turkey broth or water right into a baking pan and add the turkey legs.
- Cowl the baking tray with aluminum foil and cook dinner for 20 – 25 minutes.
The way to Reheat Smoked Turkey Legs on the Grill
Smoked turkey legs are a implausible addition to any BBQ. If you wish to add some turkey to your subsequent outside grill celebration, right here is easy methods to reheat it:
- Pour 1 / 4 cup of turkey broth or water right into a disposable aluminum pan.
- Put the thawed smoked turkey legs within the pan and canopy the highest of the pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the aluminum pan over a cooler a part of the grill.
- Cook dinner for about 10 minutes and flip the legs over.
- Proceed to cook dinner till heat.
The way to Reheat Smoked Turkey Legs in Microwave
Utilizing the microwave to warmth leftover smoked turkey stands out as the most handy, however it’s by far the worst choice. Nonetheless, should you don’t have another selection, do this:
- Reduce the turkey meat from the bone.
- Place the meat in a microwavable bowl and canopy the bowl with a plate.
- Warmth the meat on excessive for one minute. If the turkey is just not heat sufficient for you, warmth it for an additional 30 seconds.
Favourite Turkey and Thanksgiving Recipes
Well-liked Smoked Meat Recipes
Smoked Turkey Legs
Smoke Turkey Legs are tender, juicy, and deliciously flavored with a rub.
- 1 gallon water
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup desk salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- ½ cup seasoned salt
- 4 bay leaves
Turkey Rub Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon floor black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Use a big container. It must be giant sufficient for the turkey legs and a gallon of liquid and can slot in your fridge.
Pour water into the container, then add sugar, salt, peppercorns, seasoned salt, and bay leaves. Stir to mix.
When the salt and sugar have dissolved, add the turkey legs.
Cowl the container and place it within the fridge.
Brine for at the very least 4 hours, ideally in a single day.
Warmth smoker to 250°F.
Take away turkey legs from the brine and pat them dry.
Use your arms to coat the legs with the rub seasoning mix.
Smoke the turkey legs for 1½ to three hours or till the interior temperature registers 165°F. Time will range primarily based on the scale of the turkey legs.
Energy: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 33g | Fats: 11g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Ldl cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 479mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 0.2g | Vitamin A: 229IU | Vitamin C: 0.03mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 3mg