This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my full disclosure for particulars.
Hello Daring Bakers!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE: This Flourless Irish Oat Bread recipe yields easy but scrumptious slices of oat heaven. With simply 6 elements, you’ll have the proper basis for your entire favourite spreads!
First off, a giant THANK YOU to my mum’s buddy Mary McManus, whose game-changing recipe that is! I can’t wait to go on to you as a result of this Irish Oat Bread recipe is simple to make with no proofing, bread machines, or flour! It’s got a nutty, toasty, and subtly candy taste alongside a good looking brown crust that everybody can get pleasure from – and for all my gluten-free bakers, this bread is for you, too!
There’s nothing higher than a heat slice of toasted bread within the morning. Whilst you can attain for some store-bought bread, why not put your baking abilities to the check by making your personal from scratch?
Although this recipe offers you the fundamentals, you may go wild with wholesome mix-ins resembling dried fruits, nuts, and seeds. Collect simply 6 elements and some instruments, and also you’ll be in your approach to making contemporary and scrumptious Irish Oat Bread in an hour!
Desk Of Contents
What Is Irish Oat Bread?
Irish Oat Bread is a conventional kind of bread that consists of oats, flour, salt, and buttermilk. It’s recognized for its tender texture and barely candy, nutty taste. In my model, we’re omitting the flour by utilizing oat flour and incorporating yogurt as a substitute of buttermilk.
Similar to many other forms of bread, Irish Oat Bread pairs properly with butter, jam, and honey. It’s a terrific oat bread recipe for newbie bakers, because it solely makes use of just a few elements and doesn’t require any fancy instruments.
What’s The Distinction Between Irish Oat Bread And Irish Soda Bread?
You could have heard of Irish Soda Bread and are questioning if it’s the identical as Irish Oat Bread. Effectively, each Irish Oat Bread and Irish Soda Bread are conventional sorts of bread from Eire, however they differ in elements and texture.
The oats within the Irish Oat Bread give it a chewier, denser texture with a barely candy and tangy taste from the molasses and yogurt. However, Irish Soda Bread doesn’t comprise oats and – though dense – it has a crumblier texture with a extra bitter style.
Furthermore, Soda Bread historically features a cross mark on the highest of the loaf to assist the bread cook dinner extra evenly and chase away evil spirits. Again within the nineteenth century, chopping a cross on the highest of your bread was believed to let the satan out and bless the bread whereas baking.
Elements You Want To Make Irish Oat Bread:
- Rolled oats: I like to recommend utilizing old school (rolled) oats as a result of they grind down very effectively into wonderful powder.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is a chemical leavener that can make your bread rise.
- Salt: Only a pinch will carry out the flavors of your elements.
- Egg: Use a big, good-quality, room-temperature egg.
- Complete milk yogurt: Yogurt makes your batter gentle and fluffy with out utilizing oils. Don’t use Greek yogurt as a result of it’ll make your batter too thick.
- Molasses: Including molasses will add extra moisture and texture to your scrumptious oat bread. Make Home made Molasses from scratch!
How To Make Irish Oat Bread:
- Preheat the oven. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper, and put aside.
- Place the oats right into a meals processor and course of till floor into flour.
- Switch oats right into a bowl and toss with the baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk collectively the egg, yogurt, and molasses till effectively mixed. Then, stir it into the oat combination.
- Unfold batter evenly into your ready loaf pan and bake within the preheated oven till agency and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clear.
- Let cool within the pan earlier than transferring to a wire cooling rack to chill utterly.
- Slice and revel in with some Irish Brandy Butter.
Can I Make Irish Oat Bread In Advance?
Sure, you may! If you wish to serve freshly baked Irish Oat Bread, make the batter, unfold it in your ready loaf pan, and pop it within the fridge for as much as a day till you need to bake it off.
How To Retailer Irish Oat Bread
You probably have leftover Irish Oat Bread, retailer coated at room temperature for as much as 4 days. For longer storage, freeze for as much as 2 months.
What sort of oats ought to I take advantage of in Irish Oat Bread?
The most effective oats to make use of are old school rolled oats and quick-cooking oats. They’ll pulverize into wonderful powder on your flour. Sadly, steel-cut oats is not going to work for this recipe, as these oats are fairly dense and can make the feel of your bread too dense.
What do I do if I don’t have molasses?
No worries! You possibly can substitute the molasses with honey, however your Irish Oat Bread will end up lighter in coloration.
Is Irish Oat Bread gluten-free?
The excellent news is Irish Oat Bread is gluten-free (with licensed gluten-free oats)! I don’t use all-purpose flour on this bread like conventional recipes, however it tastes simply nearly as good and even higher. Check out my Gluten-Free Flours Information if you wish to substitute the oats and make a special sort of bread.
Is Irish Oat Bread vegan?
Although my Irish Oat Bread recipe incorporates eggs and yogurt, you may go forward and substitute them with totally different elements. For the eggs, take a look at my Egg Substitutes submit for extra data; and for the entire milk plain yogurt, I like to recommend changing it with buttermilk (make it vegan) , bitter cream, cottage cheese, or ricotta.
What ought to I do if I don’t have a meals processor?
If you happen to don’t have a meals processor, the subsequent best choice will likely be a blender. It might not be as clean of a flour texture, however it’ll get shut sufficient.
Gemma’s Professional Chef Suggestions:
- Use rolled oats (old school oats), however steel-cut oats is not going to work.
- This recipe requires Plain yogurt, not Greek. Greek is just too thick for this recipe.
- You should utilize my Home made Molasses if you happen to don’t have it handy.
- If you happen to don’t have molasses, you need to use honey as a substitute. The loaf will likely be lighter in coloration.
- This bread is flourless, so it’s good in case you are gluten-free.
- You possibly can sprinkle 1 cup (5 oz/142 g) of chopped dried fruit, nuts, or seeds into this loaf simply earlier than baking. I like to recommend raisins and caraway seeds.
- This bread dough is a bit heavy like Soda Bread and received’t rise very a lot however will probably be very gentle.
- Attempt serving this with certainly one of my Compound Butter recipes!
And don’t miss extra on a regular basis baking recipes in my NEW Greater Bolder Baking Each Day Cookbook!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.