Juicy, shredded rooster and zesty Andouille sausage make the right pair, in a savory tomato and bell pepper sauce. Gradual Cooker Cajun Hen and Sausage is really easy and stuffed with taste, you’ll need to make it time and again!
Daring and Spicy Cajun Cooking, Made Straightforward!
On the lookout for a daring and attention-grabbing dinner choice, one thing a little bit out of the strange, however nonetheless straightforward to tug off? This easy crockpot meal is it! Served over rice, this dish is filled with rooster, sausage, and veggies, all in a savory sauce spiked along with your favourite Cajun seasoning. It’s a family-pleasing meal that comes collectively in minutes, and slowly simmers away while not having your consideration. Winner winner, rooster dinner!
I like making the occasional Cajun dish, as a result of they’re all the time successful with my household. And I’m certain this might be successful with your loved ones, too! Even choosy eaters will benefit from the tender shredded rooster served over sizzling white rice. Plus, the leftovers style even higher the subsequent day! So the subsequent time you’ve gotten a busy day, simply toss this within the crockpot within the morning, and by dinnertime, you’ll have a savory, satisfying supper, able to go.
What You’ll Want
One other straightforward ingredient to this dish is that it makes use of canned tomatoes, beans, and tomato sauce. These substances add taste and protein to the recipe, with minimal effort! Right here’s the complete substances record, intimately:
- Hen: I like to make use of boneless, skinless rooster breast on this recipe – it’s straightforward to work with and shreds properly into the sauce.
- Andouille Sausage: Slice the sausage hyperlinks into rounds.
- Onion: Cube up one medium onion – any variety is ok, whether or not yellow, white, candy, or crimson.
- Garlic: I like minced recent garlic right here, however you could possibly substitute garlic powder, or jarred minced garlic, in the event you desire.
- Tomatoes: You’ll want a can of diced tomatoes, with their juices. Don’t drain!
- Tomato Sauce: Canned or boxed tomato sauce provides a ton of taste.
- Black Beans: I like to recommend rinsing and draining the beans to remove a few of the “canned” style.
- Bell Peppers: Cube on inexperienced bell pepper, and one crimson or yellow bell pepper.
- Cajun Seasoning: Use your favourite Cajun seasoning combine right here. Or for a retailer purchased model, I just like the “Slap Ya Mama” model.
- Paprika: Smoked paprika provides a lot smoky, earthy taste!
- Hen Broth: To get the correct consistency, I pour in some rooster broth. Veggie broth or water would even be simply positive.
- Cooked Rice: For serving.
- Scorching Sauce: Elective, for serving.
Let’s Make Cajun Hen and Sausage!
It doesn’t get simpler than this – a real “dump-and-go” dinner recipe that simmers away all day with no babysitting! Right here’s the way you do it:
- Prep the Substances and Toss Them within the Crockpot. Place the rooster breasts, sliced sausage, diced onion, minced garlic, and all the opposite goodies into your sluggish cooker, besides the cooked rice for serving, and the elective sizzling sauce. Stir every little thing round to mix the substances.
- Prepare dinner. Prepare dinner this on HIGH for 3 hours, or on LOW for six – 8 hours. You’ll understand it’s prepared when the rooster is cooked by and has reached an inside temperature of 165°F (use an Instantaneous Learn thermometer to examine for doneness).
- Shred the Hen. As soon as the rooster is cooked, take it out of the sluggish cooker and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded rooster to the sluggish cooker, and stir it round to take in a few of the sauce.
- Take pleasure in! Serve your Cajun rooster and sausage in a big bowl over white rice. Yum!
Do You Must Brown Sausage Earlier than Placing It within the Gradual Cooker?
No, under no circumstances! Browning meat earlier than including it to a crockpot will be useful, as a result of the browning provides a layer of taste and colour. However this recipe is already loaded with flavorful substances, so in the event you’d prefer to put the sausage proper in, like I do, go for it. The dish will nonetheless be hearty, well-seasoned, and satisfying. If you happen to desire to brown it first, that’s positive, as nicely!
Yummy Ideas for this Recipe
After all, like many sluggish cooker dishes, this one may be very adaptable. Don’t like sausage? Depart it out, or substitute one other meat that you just like, corresponding to ham or smoked turkey meat! Wish to add some further veggies, or tweak the seasonings.
- Sausage Choices: Whereas I take advantage of Andouille sausage on this recipe, nearly any variety would work, together with beef or turkey sausage. Kielbasa could be a straightforward swap, or your favourite nation smoked sausage hyperlinks.
- Hen Choices: Be at liberty to substitute rooster thighs for the rooster breast on this recipe. Hen thighs will produce a extra moist and fatty outcome.
- Add Rice: I make my rice individually, however in the event you like, you may add the rice two hours earlier than the rooster is completed (if cooking on excessive) or 3 hours earlier than cooking is completed (if cooking on low).
- Add Shrimp: So as to add shrimp to this dish, simply flip the crockpot on HIGH for the final half-hour of cooking, and stir the shrimp proper in to simmer for that half-hour. They need to be pink and totally cooked by that point, but when they don’t seem to be, allow them to cook dinner for one more 10 – quarter-hour earlier than checking.
- Thicken the Sauce: If you happen to desire a thicker sauce with this recipe, add a slurry of cornstarch and water to the Crockpot over the last half-hour, and switch the warmth to HIGH in order that it simmers. Stir nicely.
Straightforward Serving Concepts
To serve this dish, all you actually need is a few sizzling, cooked rice! You might additionally do cauliflower rice, in the event you desire. Nonetheless, if you wish to make a facet dish or two, I’ve a number of favorites I’d like to share with you!
- Cornbread: A sq. of tacky cornbread goes fantastically with this saucy dish! Do this Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread, for a straightforward and flavorful mixture of style and texture.
- Beer Bread: Not a cornbread fan? This dish goes equally as nicely with some Buttery Beer Bread! It’s tremendous straightforward to make with just some pantry staple substances.
- Greens: Basic collard greens are a nutritious, satisfying facet with this spicy Cajun dinner. Beer Bacon Collard Greens take the Southern favourite to a complete new stage! If you happen to’re a fan of collards, you’ve acquired to attempt these.
Storing and Reheating the Leftovers
- Refrigerate your leftovers well-covered, ideally in hermetic containers. Correctly saved, this dish will maintain within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- You can even freeze leftover Cajun rooster and sausage, for as much as three months. Be certain to seal it nicely in a zip-top bag, urgent out as a lot air as attainable earlier than sealing. Then place that bag inside one other bag, to assist stop freezer burn.
- To reheat, thaw your leftovers within the fridge in a single day (if frozen). Reheat within the microwave, utilizing a microwave-safe dish. You an additionally reheat on the stovetop, in a lined skillet over low warmth. Stir ceaselessly to stop scorching or sticking. The dish ought to simmer and all the substances ought to be piping sizzling earlier than serving.
Extra Straightforward Gradual Cooker Recipes
On the lookout for extra sluggish cooker dinner recipes? Fortunate for you I like my crockpot and have a ton! Listed here are a number of of my favorites I believe you’ll get pleasure from:
Prepare dinner Time
3 hours 10 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless rooster breast
- 12 ounces Andouille or Cajun sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (don’t drain)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium inexperienced bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium crimson or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup rooster broth
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Scorching sauce, elective, for serving
- In sluggish cooker, place rooster breasts, sausage, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, bell peppers, cajun seasoning, and paprika. Pour within the rooster broth, and stir to mix.
- Prepare dinner on HIGH for 3 hours, or on LOW for six to eight hours, till the rooster is cooked by and has reached an inside temperature of 165°F. Take out the rooster breast and shred it. Return the shredded rooster to the sluggish cooker, and stir to mix.
- Serve in a big bowl over white rice, with sizzling sauce for topping as desired.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
Fridge: Retailer leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days.
Freezer: Switch cooled leftovers right into a freezer secure container (like a freezer secure zip-top bag) and take away as a lot air as attainable. Freeze for as much as 3 months.
To Reheat: Thaw within the fridge in a single day (if frozen). Reheat within the microwave, utilizing a microwave-safe dish. You an additionally reheat on the stovetop, in a lined skillet over low warmth. Stir ceaselessly to stop scorching or sticking. The dish ought to simmer and all the substances ought to be piping sizzling earlier than serving.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 441Whole Fats: 23gSaturated Fats: 7gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 12gLdl cholesterol: 107mgSodium: 1270mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 36g
This publish could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.