Learn to minimize cabbage for slaws, stir fries, soups, and extra! This step-by-step information teaches you slice it into wedges, shreds, and squares.
Ever puzzled minimize cabbage? You’re in the precise place! At present, I’m breaking down my favourite straightforward strategies for minimize cabbage for salads, slaws, soups, and extra.
This publish is a part of my mission to get everybody to eat cabbage extra usually. This humble vegetable is nutritious, scrumptious, and versatile (to not point out low cost!), however I’ll admit, from the skin, it may be intimidating. The place do you begin with a veggie that appears like a miniature globe?
I hope that the step-by-step directions and suggestions beneath make making ready cabbage really feel easy. And in the event you want an thought for use it after you chop it up, discover a few of my favourite cabbage recipes on the backside of this publish!
Forms of Cabbage
Whenever you head to the produce part of your grocery retailer, you’ll possible see a number of of these kind of cabbage:
- Inexperienced cabbage (pictured above) – Its crisp, pale leaves pack densely into heavy spherical heads. Left uncooked, inexperienced cabbage is ideal for traditional coleslaw, but it surely additionally cooks up properly into soups and sautés.
- Pink cabbage (pictured above) – From the skin, it seems to be similar to inexperienced cabbage, besides it’s, effectively…crimson. Add it to a slaw or grain bowl, or roast it.
- Napa cabbage – This number of Chinese language cabbage has a protracted, ovular form. Its leaves have crisp white stems and delicate, frilly pale inexperienced edges. I really like napa cabbage uncooked or cooked in dishes like stir fries and sautés.
- Savoy cabbage – An entire Savoy cabbage and a complete inexperienced cabbage have quite a bit in frequent. Each are spherical; each are inexperienced. However Savoy cabbage’s leaves are far more loosely packed, and so they have a softer, rufflier texture. Although this cabbage selection hails from the French Alps, its tender texture makes it a terrific sub for napa cabbage in lots of recipes.
These kind of cabbage all look totally different from the skin, however you may learn to minimize any of them utilizing the information beneath!
How one can Lower Cabbage Into Wedges
Reducing cabbage into wedges may be your finish aim OR step one in the direction of slicing it into one other form, like shreds or squares. It breaks down a big, unwieldy head of cabbage into extra manageable items.
- Begin by eradicating any outer leaves which might be robust, wilted, or discolored. Rinse the cabbage and blot it dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel.
- Then, find the stem or core. It will likely be on the backside of the cabbage the place the leaves be part of collectively.
- Use a pointy chef’s knife to chop the cabbage in half lengthwise via the core.
- Lower the halves in half, once more lengthwise via the core, to type 4 wedges.
Are wedges your stopping level? Proceed to slice the cabbage items via the core till the wedges are your required thickness. I feel 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick is a superb measurement for searing or roasting.
Need to learn to minimize cabbage into skinny slices or squares? Maintain studying!
How one can Lower Shredded Cabbage
Very first thing’s first: see the part above to study minimize a cabbage into wedges.
- Upon getting 4 wedges, place one wedge minimize aspect down in your slicing board.
- Lower diagonally alongside the core to take away it from the wedge.
- Then, use a pointy chef’s knife to thinly slice the cabbage wedge crosswise, working down from the sharp tip in the direction of the place you chop out the core.
- Repeat with the remaining wedges!
That’s it! Use the shredded cabbage in coleslaw, tacos, and extra.
- Variation 1: For longer shreds, minimize the cabbage lengthwise as a substitute of crosswise. Thinly slice it alongside one of many minimize edges of every wedge.
- Variation 2: For very finely shredded cabbage, use a mandoline slicer. Maintain a cabbage wedge on the core finish and run the tip over the mandoline blade to slice it. Make sure you use the protection guard!
- Variation 3: For chopped cabbage, like I take advantage of in my cabbage soup, minimize every wedge lengthwise into 1-inch uniform slices. Then, minimize 1-inch slices crosswise to type a grid. The leaves will separate into squares.
Favourite Cabbage Recipes
So, you realized minimize a cabbage. How are you going to cook dinner it? If you happen to want some inspo, strive making one in all these recipes:
You will discover much more scrumptious cabbage recipes in my new cookbook, Love & Lemons Easy Really feel Good Meals.
In truth, it features a 3-day meal plan that’s designed to make use of a complete head of cabbage! The plan recipes—Seared Cabbage Wedges, Loaded Pita Nachos (pictured beneath), and Chickpea Tacos with Pickled Cabbage (pictured beneath)—are a few of my favorites within the e-book. Pre-order it now to get a free BONUS e-book!
How one can Lower Cabbage
Learn to minimize cabbage for slaws, soups, and extra! All you want is a pointy knife and a slicing board.
Take away any outer leaves from the cabbage which might be robust, discolored, or wilted. Rinse the cabbage and pat it dry. Place on a slicing board.
Find the stem or core on the backside of the cabbage the place the leaves be part of collectively. Use a pointy chef’s knife to slice the cabbage in half vertically via the core. Lower every half in half vertically via the core to type 4 wedges.
To chop thinner wedges for roasting or searing, proceed to chop the cabbage wedges vertically via the core till they attain your required thickness.
To chop shredded cabbage for slaws or sautés, place one cabbage wedge minimize aspect down in your slicing board. Lower diagonally alongside the core to take away it from the wedge. Working down from the sharp tip to the core finish, thinly slice the cabbage crosswise. Repeat with the remaining wedges.
To chop chopped cabbage for a stir fry or soup, minimize every wedge into 1-inch slices lengthwise, then minimize it into 1-inch slices crosswise to type a grid. The leaves will separate into squares.
Discover recipe recommendations within the publish above, or try these 17 Greatest Cabbage Recipes.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.