The recipe for this Tuscan vegetable soup comes from chef Elisabetta Gemignani, Borgo La Torre lodge and trattoria within the village of Montecarlo, outdoors Lucca. You’ll want to cook dinner any more durable greens lengthy sufficient that they scomparire (disappear), that means to cook dinner down. The portions are versatile, so use no matter you’ve available.
Yield: serves 6-8
Time: 3 hours
- 1 cup dried borlotti (cranberry) beans, soaked 6–10 hours, drained
- ½ cup dried cannellini beans, soaked 6–10 hours, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, 3 complete, 1 smashed
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped sage leaves, divided
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 1½ tsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups coarsely chopped washed kale leaves
- 5 cups coarsely chopped white cabbage leaves
- 1 massive carrot, peeled and reduce into ½-in. cubes
- ½ medium fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small leek, white and pale inexperienced elements solely, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 cups cubed peeled kabocha or butternut squash
- 1 small zucchini, sliced ¼ in. thick
- Torn herbs, resembling peppermint, lemon balm, burnet, and dandelion greens, and fennel fronds
- To a pot set over excessive warmth, add the borlotti and cannellini beans, complete garlic cloves, half of the sage, and 16 cups of water. When the liquid boils, flip the warmth to medium-low and cook dinner till the beans are mushy however not disintegrating, about 1½ hours. Take away from the warmth.
- To a small pot set over low warmth, add the smashed garlic and oil and cook dinner, turning often, till softened, 5–8 minutes. Stir within the tomato paste and remaining sage and cook dinner, stirring often, till the paste has darkened barely, about 4 minutes. Take away from the warmth. Utilizing a slotted spoon, switch the sage to a reducing board; when cool sufficient to deal with, finely chop it and add it to the pot with the beans.
- Use a potato masher or meals mill to interrupt down the beans (or depart complete if desired). Stir within the tomato paste combination, season with salt to style, and switch the warmth to excessive. When the liquid boils, add the kale; when it boils once more, add the cabbage, then flip the warmth to medium and cook dinner for 10 minutes. Add the carrot, fennel, and celery and cook dinner for five minutes, adopted by the onions, leek, squash, and zucchini. Flip the warmth to medium-low and cook dinner till the entire greens are tender, about half-hour. Stir within the herbs and serve scorching.