Candy, chewy, and delicately floral cookies made with lavender buds are the newest cookie jar favourite in my home. These lavender cookies have chewy facilities and barely crisp edges. They’re nothing like shortbread cookies; they are a traditional sugar cookie punctuated with the unimaginable scent and taste of lavender buds.
My common simple sugar cookie recipe has been on rotation in our home virtually weekly for years. I even have associates that bake the recipe usually with their children, as a result of it is so easy. It makes simply 6 cookies, which is the right quantity for little fingers.
For these lavender cookies, I merely took that very same cookie recipe however I blended a small quantity of lavender buds into the granulated sugar earlier than continuing with the recipe. It is excellent if you happen to sip my Iced London Fog when you bake, too!
You should utilize lavender buds out of your yard backyard (simply make sure that they have not been sprayed) or you possibly can choose up culinary dried lavender buds. If you happen to love the enjoyable scent of lavender and benefit from the delicate taste, you must make these cookies!
These substances are fundamental baking necessities, aside from dried lavender buds. You probably have some leftover from my London fog drink, you need to use them right here.
- Butter. Since it is a small batch recipe, we solely want half a stick of butter, or 2 ounces/ 4 tablespoons. We are going to soften this utterly, so there is not any want to make sure it is room temperature earlier than baking.
- Granulated Sugar.
- Lavender. A really small quantity of dried culinary lavender buds is all we need–just ½ teaspoon. If you happen to use lavender out of your yard, make sure that it hasn’t been sprayed. I like this model, because it’s grown in France, an space recognized for unimaginable lavender manufacturing.
- Egg Yolk. We solely want the egg yolk for this recipe, not the entire egg! If you happen to double the recipe, use two eggs yolks, not the entire egg. If you happen to triple this lavender cookies recipe, use three egg yolks.
- Vanilla Extract.
- Baking Soda.
Find out how to Make Lavender Cookies
This cookies come collectively in simply minutes, really. I particularly love that it makes use of melted butter for the dough so I haven’t got to attend as much as an hour for butter to melt earlier than baking!
First, preheat the oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a silicone mat). Subsequent, place the sugar and lavender buds in a mini meals processor. Pulse a couple of instances to interrupt up the lavender.
Soften the butter in a microwave-safe bowl, add the lavender sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract. Stir very properly to mix.
Sprinkle the flour, baking soda and salt evenly over the opposite substances within the bowl. Stir simply to mix, till it comes collectively into sugar cookie dough.
To evenly divide the dough into items, use this trick: press the dough flat within the bowl. Divide it in half with a spatula, after which divide every half into thirds by eye. You’ll find yourself with 6 roughly similar-sized lavender cookies.
Area the cookies evenly on the baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. They may unfold and begin to crackle. They may seem dry on prime.
Let the lavender cookies cool for two minutes on the baking sheet. They may flatten and crinkle extra as they cool. Transfer to a wire rack to chill utterly earlier than serving.
These cookies are pleasant for a day snack, identical to my Tea Muffins. They’re additionally very cute and giftable in clear snack luggage.
Tools to Bake Lavender Cookies:
In case you want a couple of instruments to bake excellent cookies, I will share my checklist of kitchen favorites.
- Small Sheet Pan – You should utilize an everyday giant cookie sheet, however I like this quarter sheet pan for baking all of my small batch cookies.
- Silicone Baking Mat – As a substitute of parchment paper, I exploit this silicone mat. Not solely is it reusable as a result of it is utterly washable, it helps warmth switch extra evenly, leading to extra completely spherical cookies.
- Cooling Rack – Cookies have one of the best texture in the event that they cool utterly after baking. That is the small wire cooling rack I like.
This recipe solely makes 6 cookies, so I needn’t say a lot about long run storage. I do not advocate making the dough prematurely and freezing it, as a result of it modifications the baking time. Merely put, simply make the cookie dough and bake them the identical day. If you happen to occur to have leftovers, preserve them at room temperature in an hermetic bag.
Prepare dinner Time
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon culinary grade lavender buds
- 1 giant egg yolk (no white)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (96 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon superb salt
- Preheat the oven to 350, and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a silicone mat).
- Place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and soften it within the microwave in 25 second intervals till totally melted. Regulate it as a result of if it will get too sizzling, it would splatter.
- In a small meals processor, mix the sugar and lavender buds and pulse a couple of instances to interrupt the buds into small items. Cowl the meals processor when you pulse so the sugar doesn’t fly out.
- Stir collectively the melted butter, lavender sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Stir very properly to mix.
- Subsequent, sprinkle the flour, baking soda and salt evenly over the dough, and stir simply to mix.
- Press the dough flat and evenly within the bowl, after which divide it in half by eye. You need to get 3 cookies from every half.
- Evenly house the cookies on the ready baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes, till they unfold, begin to crackle and seem dry on prime.
- Let the cookies relaxation on the baking sheet for two minutes earlier than transferring them to a wire rack to chill utterly.
Lavender: I like to recommend culinary lavender or lavender buds out of your yard you could guarantee weren’t sprayed with any form of pesticide or insecticide. If you happen to add greater than ½ teaspoon, it might probably style soapy, so even if you happen to adore lavender, please measure exactly.
Egg Yolk: We solely want the egg yolk for this recipe, not the entire egg! If you happen to double the recipe, use two eggs yolks, not the entire egg. If you happen to triple the recipe, use three egg yolks, and so forth.
Storage: This recipe solely makes 6 cookies. Retailer leftover cookies at room temperature in an hermetic container. I do not advocate making the dough prematurely and freezing it, as a result of it modifications the baking time. I additionally do not advocate freezing already baked cookies, as a result of they appear to dry out when frozen after which turn out to be overly gentle when thawed.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 148Complete Fats: 9gSaturated Fats: 5gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 3gLdl cholesterol: 82mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g