A candy and easy recipe for no-chill sugar cookies, these are buttery and tender with crisp outlined edges and don’t require any chilling within the fridge.
Final-Minute Minimize-Out Cookies
Sneaking in simply earlier than Christmas with a last-minute cookie recipe for all of my fellow procrastinators on the market! I truly hesitated fairly a bit to share this no-chill sugar cookie recipe, and virtually didn’t. Solely as a result of I have already got a fairly unbelievable, well-loved, highly-rated and straightforward sugar cookie recipe on the weblog.
The one disadvantage? My unique recipe requires a number of hours of chilling. And generally, effectively, we’d like sugar cookies with out chilling. We’d like them quick and don’t have time to attend for refrigeration, irrespective of how obnoxiously necessary we know that step could also be.
Which is why I’m very happy to be sharing at this time’s completely no-refrigerator required, no-chill sugar cookie recipe. For these of you who’re procrastinators (very like myself) and end up in determined want of cookies for Santa and barely any time remaining earlier than the sleigh pulls as much as the rooftop.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- NO CHILLING!
- Easy to arrange with fundamental substances.
- Yields stunning, even cookies with sharp, outlined edges.
- A forgiving dough; I embrace tricks to keep away from widespread sugar cookie pitfalls, but additionally find out how to resolve them in case you omitted the ideas and bumped into them anyway.
- Yields buttery, completely sweetened cookies which you could customise the flavour of together with your favourite extracts.
- Fast and straightforward, this recipe may be accomplished in underneath an hour!
What You Want
The substances wanted listed below are primarily the identical as those utilized in my basic sugar cookies, with one notable exception. Let’s go over these earlier than we get began:
- Butter. Arguably crucial ingredient, your butter has the ability to make or break your no-chill sugar cookies. Your butter needs to be softened, however not solely to room temperature. It ought to nonetheless have a little bit of a chill to it, if it’s too heat or tender it will possibly make the dough sticky and tough to make use of. Examine that your butter isn’t melting (the surface of it shouldn’t be oily). If you wish to be actually technical, use an immediate learn thermometer (⬅️ affiliate hyperlink for the one I exploit) to verify the temperature of your butter. At its heart, it ought to learn near 65F (18C).
- Extracts. Vanilla extract offers the cookies their basic vanilla taste. A little bit of almond extract provides one thing additional particular, however may be skipped in case you don’t love the flavour (or be happy to substitute with lemon extract).
- Flour. Use all-purpose flour. Whereas I like to recommend all the time measuring your flour correctly, with this recipe you even have a little bit of wiggle room, and in case you run into a difficulty with sticky dough you may all the time add a spoonful extra as wanted.
- Cornstarch. My secret weapon, I desire to make use of a mix of flour and cornstarch relatively than simply flour. An excessive amount of flour could make the cookies cakey and bland. Cornstarch works very like flour on this recipe, however you should utilize a lot much less of it, retaining the cookies tender and flavorful.
- Baking powder. A pinch of baking powder retains the cookies from being too dense. It presents a slight little bit of elevate that retains their texture good.
SAM’S TIP; TOPPINGS: My simple sugar cookie icing and simple royal icing each work splendidly for icing these cookies (I used my royal icing within the images right here). Nonetheless you can even skip the icing fully and simply sprinkle the cut-out cookies with coloured sanding sugar earlier than baking them.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the submit!
Methods to Make No-Chill Sugar Cookies
- Cream the butter & sugar. Beat them collectively till gentle and fluffy, a couple of minute or so with an electrical mixer.
- Stir in egg and extracts. Scrape the bowl periodically to make sure all substances are well-combined.
- Put together the dough. Whisk collectively the dry substances individually, then, together with your mixer on low-speed, steadily add the flour till fully mixed. You don’t wish to over-work this dough (which may heat the butter and make the dough sticky) however take your time including the flour and ensure it’s fully mixed.
- Roll it out. No chilling wanted, take your dough straight to a clear evenly floured floor and roll it out as thick or skinny as you’d like. Be certain that to periodically scrape beneath the dough with a spatula when you’re rolling it to make sure it’s not sticking to your counter!
- Minimize & bake! Use cookie cutters to chop out shapes and place these fantastic no-chill sugar cookies on a baking sheet. The cookies received’t unfold, however give an inch or so of house between cookies to provide them some respiration room. Bake till the cookies are simply starting to show a very gentle golden brown on the sides.
SAM’S TIP: Add your flour steadily. This dough is designed to be a bit extra dry and agency than different cookie doughs (it’s how we’re capable of skip the chilling), so it takes a while for the moist substances to soak up all of that flour. I like to recommend including the flour combination in 4 or 5 elements and guaranteeing it’s all been integrated earlier than including the subsequent bit. In case your dough appears dry and crumbly, you might need simply overwhelmed it with flour. Simply maintain mixing and it’ll come collectively.
Incessantly Requested Questions
If you happen to don’t have cornstarch you may depart it out and as a substitute use 3-4 extra Tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
Dough that’s too crumbly is commonly brought on by by accident utilizing an excessive amount of flour. Please see my submit on find out how to measure flour correctly.
That being stated, this can be a pretty forgiving dough and might deal with extra flour than is named for. In case your dough is simply too dry and crumbly and cracking the flour might have been added too rapidly, quicker than the moist substances may correctly soak up it. To forestall this, add the dry substances slowly, in 5 elements, and stir till all the flour has been absorbed earlier than including extra. If you happen to’re within the thick of it and have already added your whole flour, simply maintain mixing. It would all come collectively properly, but it surely may be extra of an arm exercise this fashion.
Sticky dough is most definitely the results of butter that was too heat or over-handling your dough. I designed this dough to be simply dry sufficient that it didn’t want to sit back, however I used to be intentional about making it nonetheless tender sufficient that you simply’d have a pleasant, buttery, and flavorful cookie (one which didn’t style like flour!). In case your butter was melty/oily once you used it (you didn’t microwave it to melt it, did you!?) or in case you blended the dough for much longer than known as for or dealt with it together with your palms an awesome deal, this will trigger it to be sticky.
This may be fastened; slowly stir extra flour into the dough till it’s manageable or, if the dough is already in your clear floor for rolling, sprinkle dough on the counter and over the dough and blend it in by hand till manageable.
You additionally may chill this dough for 15-20 minutes to treatment dough that’s gotten too heat. This works nice, however then in fact these received’t precisely be no-chill sugar cookies 😉
I’d not suggest it because the dough is simply too stiff and purposefully designed to be rolled out. As a substitute, I’d suggest attempting my drop sugar cookies.
I’ve a couple of extra recipes in retailer for you this yr however this might be my final dessert recipe of 2022. Merry Christmas, and I hope this recipe is useful (in case you take pleasure in it let me know and I’ll attempt to movie a video for it for the subsequent vacation season)!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! If you happen to do this recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Fb
No-Chill Sugar Cookies
The right last-minute cookie, this no-chill sugar cookie recipe requires, effectively, no chilling! It is easy to make and yields perfectly-sweet, buttery sugar cookies with crisp outlined edges.
Servings: 30 2.5″ cookies, see notice
Forestall your display from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, use an electrical mixer (or stand mixer) to beat collectively butter and sugar till creamy and well-combined (about 1 minute on medium velocity).
1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
Add egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat on medium-speed till fully mixed. be sure you scrape the perimeters and backside of the bowl so substances are totally mixed.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 massive egg, ¼ teaspoon almond extract
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk collectively flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
With mixer on low-speed, very steadily add flour combination to butter combination till fully mixed. This can be a pretty dry dough, one of the best ways to maintain it from being dry and crumbly is so as to add the flour slowly (in 4-5 elements) and ensure it is all been integrated earlier than including the subsequent little bit of flour.
Type the dough right into a disk and switch it to a clear, evenly floured floor and sprinkle the floor of the dough evenly with extra flour.
Extra flour for rolling cookies
Use a evenly floured rolling pin to roll dough to be about ¼” (6.5mm) thick. As you roll, often use a spatula to scrape beneath the dough to loosen it from the counter to make sure it is not sticking to the floor. In case your dough is sticky in any respect, merely sprinkle it with extra flour.
Use cookie cutters to chop shapes out of the dough (eep your cookie cuts cuts shut and re-group and re-roll out any dough scraps!) and switch to ready baking sheet, spacing cookies not less than 1″ aside.
Switch to heart rack of 350F (175C) oven and bake for 8-10 minutes (that is the recommended time for two.5-3″/7.5cm cookies; smaller cookies will want much less time and bigger cookies might have longer). When cookies are completed baking, edges might be starting to show very gentle golden brown.
Butter shouldn’t be so tender that it’s oily/melty and it’s truly ideally suited if it nonetheless has a little bit of a chill to it. If you wish to be very exact, use an immediate learn thermometer to verify for a temperature of 65F (18C).
I exploit unsalted butter, however in case you use salted butter then cut back the salt within the recipe to only a pinch (about ⅛ teaspoon).
This can be a powdery white substance (related in look to baking powder) that’s usually labeled as “corn flour” within the UK. If you happen to don’t have cornstarch, you might omit it and improve the quantity of flour within the recipe by 3-4 Tablespoons.
What number of cookies you get out of this dough will fluctuate relying on the dimensions of your cookie cutters and exactly how thick you roll the dough. I used 2.5″ cookie cutters and rolled the dough to ¼″ thickness for the testing this recipe and re-rolled out my cookie scraps.
Serving: 1unfrosted cookie | Energy: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 6g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.2g | Ldl cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 17mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.