Olivier Salad is a hearty potato salad with meat, eggs, and peas. It’s also referred to as Russian potato salad. It’s nice as a aspect dish or primary meal.
This put up incorporates affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Russian Potato Salad
Olivier salad is also referred to as salade Russe, or in my home, it’s merely Russian potato salad. Lots of you might have by no means heard of this kind of potato salad which is a novel tackle the potato salad we’re all conversant in.
This Olivier salad is filled with texture, tremendous creamy, and ridiculously addicting. The recipe consists of potatoes, eggs, meat, onions, peas, carrots, mayonnaise, and a few bitter pickles.
I loved this salad and plenty of Russian-style dinners due to my fiancée Michael, who was born in Russia and taught me so much about Russian meals.
What Is Olivier Salad?
Olivier Salad is a convention in lots of post-Soviet nations on New Yr’s Eve, Christmas, Easter, and plenty of different celebrations. Olivier is just not like most forms of American potato salad. Probably the most important variations are the inclusion of meat and bitter pickles.
Temporary Historical past of Salad Olivier
Olivier salad, or salade Russe, wasn’t truly created by a Russian however by Chef Lucien Olivier, a Belgian working for a restaurant in Moscow within the 1860s. This salad was so tasty that everybody wished the recipe, however Olivier wouldn’t share it.
The dish was then tailored by Ivan Ivanov, who printed the recipe. Over time, it gained recognition in Russia and all through the remainder of the Soviet Union, Europe, and even different components of the world.
It’s fairly superb what number of totally different cultures have made scrumptious variations on this type of potato salad!
Why This Is the Recipe You Should Attempt for Russian Olivier Salad
This Olivier salad recipe doesn’t skimp on texture or creaminess. If you’re a fan of American potato salad, you’ll completely love this traditional Russian dish. In actual fact, chances are you’ll like this salad a lot that you could be find yourself utilizing any dinner as an excuse to make it!
This Olivier potato salad recipe is an effective way to make use of up any leftover meat, akin to duck, lamb, or rooster.
That is additionally an ideal recipe to organize means forward of time. All you must do is cook dinner and chop the greens and eggs, then place them within the fridge in separate containers till you’re able to make the salad. Combine all the pieces collectively while you’re able to serve.
Olivier Salad Components
This isn’t a flowery salad, so that you don’t want any fancy substances, simply:
- White onion
- Inexperienced candy peas (frozen peas are nice to make use of)
- Meat or fish
- Bitter dill pickle
- Salt and pepper
- Contemporary dill
Learn how to Make Russian Olivier Salad
This Olivier salad recipe couldn’t be less complicated to make. Simply observe these steps:
- Peel and boil the potatoes in a big pot and add the carrots midway via the cooking course of.
- Onerous boil the eggs and peel them.
- Enable all the pieces to chill.
- Use a knife to cube them into bite-sized items. Place the dices in a big bowl.
- Add the remainder of the substances and stir till effectively blended.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Ideas for Making the Finest Olivier Potato Salad
- Make sure you use bitter dill pickles – this Russian salad was not meant for candy pickles.
- Place the pickle cubes in a sieve to empty in a single day. Or, when you overlook to do that, you may squeeze out the juices utilizing some paper towels. This manner, the pickle juices gained’t add sogginess to the salad or overpower the flavors of the opposite substances.
- Use a vegetable slicer or chopper for good evenly-sized items each time.
- This salad tastes higher when you make it a couple of hours earlier than serving and even the night earlier than.
- Canned peas style mushy, however utilizing frozen or contemporary peas takes the salad to a brand new stage. You’ll by no means wish to return to canned peas once more.
- Make your individual home made mayonnaise for the most effective contemporary taste.
The bitter pickles and meat impart the flavour to this conventional Russian potato salad recipe. Take into account that in the course of the Soviet period, salads like this had been made with no matter was accessible on the time. This makes this salad Olivier tremendous versatile, and you may simply mess around with it and make it your individual. Listed here are some urged variations:
- Use half mayo and half bitter cream, and add some cucumber and granny smith chopped apples. Garnish with chopped inexperienced onions.
- If you’re feeding somebody with an egg allergy, you should utilize crème fraiche, bitter cream, or Greek yogurt as an alternative of mayonnaise.
- If you happen to really feel adventurous, different pickled greens, akin to beet pickles, would go effectively on this salad.
- Attempt smoked beef sausage and a few gentle cheddar cheese.
- Add just a little Dijon mustard to present it one other layer of taste.
- Attempt it Iranian type. Boil a rooster with onion, pink paprika powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Add the shredded rooster meat and a number of the rooster juices to the salad with potatoes, inexperienced peas, pickled cucumbers, eggs, lemon juice, and mayonnaise. Because of reader Pantea who described this.
What to Serve With Russian Potato Salad
This salad is ideal in your vacation celebrations or a household cookout. Listed here are some serving concepts.
- Make it look enticing by inserting it on a mattress of lettuce leaves on a sexy serving platter.
- Serve this as a aspect dish as an alternative of normal potato salad at your subsequent BBQ. It pairs completely with grilled meats.
- For an genuine full-blown Slavic feast, serve this Russian potato salad with some shashlik (kabobs), cabbage rolls, piroshki (stuffed hand pies), and/or a bowl of borscht.
A Russian cookbook could also be an awesome present for somebody who likes cooking.
Learn how to Retailer Salad Olivier
Don’t let the potato salad sit out at room temperature for longer than 2 hours.
This salad will hold effectively in an hermetic container for a few days within the fridge. If you happen to hold the mayo separate, it’s going to last as long as 5 days.
Observe that you shouldn’t freeze Olivier salad. The mayo and starchy potatoes won’t thaw effectively, and also you’ll find yourself with a mushy salad.
Love Potato Salad? Attempt These Recipes!
Favourite Potato Aspect Dish Recipes
Olivier Salad aka Russian potato salad is an incredible tackle potato salad.
- 1 1/2 kilos potatoes
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup bitter dill pickle chopped
- 1 cup inexperienced peas thawed frozen or canned
- 1 cup meat – ham, bologna, rooster, or corned beef chopped into small items
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
Peel and boil potatoes, cooking till tender. If you happen to want to have a carrot in your salad add a few peeled carrots midway via the potato cooking course of.
In a separate pot, boil eggs till they’re cooked via (hard-boiled). Peel the eggs.
Enable the potatoes, eggs, and carrots to chill earlier than dicing them into bite-sized items and inserting them in a big bowl.
Add finely chopped onions, chopped dill pickle, inexperienced peas, meat, and mayonnaise.
Stir all collectively till effectively blended.
You might want to season with salt and pepper earlier than serving.
This can be a very versatile recipe and that is how I get pleasure from it the most effective. Some individuals might discover this kind of potato salad just a little bland, right here the bitter pickles, and the meat actually provides the flavour influence. Take into account that in the course of the Soviet period, salads like this had been made with what was available and accessible. Feeling adventurous, different pickled greens would go effectively in right here. Don’t overlook to garnish with just a little dill weed.
Energy: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 9g | Fats: 17g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Ldl cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 230mg | Potassium: 544mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2775IU | Vitamin C: 18.8mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 3.3mg