You’ll love these mushy peanut butter snickerdoodles! Take pleasure in a chewy cookie with a barely crisp exterior, cinnamon-sugar coating, and somewhat crunch from chopped peanuts. I admire there’s no further adorning required. These are candy and easy, however mega flavorful!
This recipe is a part of my annual vacation cookie countdown referred to as Sally’s Cookie Palooza. Yearly since 2013, I work on a handful of latest cookie recipes and publish the ten greatest ones for readers to take pleasure in! You may browse dozens of recipes on the Sally’s Cookie Palooza web page. 🙂
Does something actually reside as much as the mighty snickerdoodle cookie? The reply isn’t a lot, however there are a number of variations of the cinnamon-sugar-coated treats that come shut. And it’s a lot enjoyable to mess around with totally different flavors, together with these maple pecan snickerdoodles and white chocolate chai spice snickerdoodles. At the moment, we’re including peanut butter to the lineup!
Inform Me About These Peanut Butter Snickerdoodles
- Taste: Two cookies in a single! And no, I’m not speaking a couple of cookie sandwich. At the moment’s soft-baked cookies are like snickerdoodles and peanut butter cookies mixed.
- Texture: Gentle and crinkly with crisp edges and chunks of chopped peanuts in each chunk.
- Ease: It is a fantastic recipe for a newbie baker as a result of there aren’t any difficult steps. These rolled and drop-style cookies have built-in garnish and ornament from the cinnamon sugar coating. (And, truthfully, rolling the dough into balls might be the toughest step!)
- Time: Peanut butter all the time makes a brilliant mushy dough, so it’s crucial that this cookie dough takes a 3-hour nap within the fridge. I do know what you’re pondering… I want I may take a 3-hour nap! 😉 And sure, that’s a very long time to attend, however I promise it’s value it. If you wish to keep away from peanut butter cookie puddles, let that dough sit within the fridge for 3 hours, and even in a single day!
Should you’re baking a number of cookie recipes in a day, bake a batch of this straightforward shortbread when you wait.
Testing This Recipe
I’ve made extra batches of peanut butter snickerdoodles than every other cookie just lately. My unique thought was to simply coat these peanut butter cookies in cinnamon sugar—and that positively works—however I wished to problem myself by making a brand new dough that yields a chewier, crispier-edged cookie. Just a few failed check batches later, I landed on a dough that’s just like these peanut butter chocolate half moon cookies.
That recipe comes from King Arthur Baking’s cookie cookbook, and proved to be the very best jumping-off level for at this time’s variation. As an alternative of all brown sugar, I swapped in some granulated white sugar, simply so the brown sugar taste didn’t overpower something. I additionally added 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar, for that traditional snickerdoodle taste, and somewhat further flour, as over-spreading was a difficulty after rolling the dough in cinnamon-sugar.
Key Substances in Peanut Butter Snickerdoodles
- Flour: This recipe requires 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons of flour. I do know, such a random quantity! Like I point out above, 1 cup wasn’t sufficient except you need to chill the dough for days. To forestall the cookies from over-spreading, the tremendous mushy dough advantages from *somewhat* further flour. Keep in mind that peanut butter is a particular ingredient in cookie recipes—it really acts as a dry ingredient, so that you don’t need to overdo it on the flour.
- Cream of Tartar: This commonplace snickerdoodle ingredient provides a singular tangy taste to the cookie, which units it aside from sugar cookies and makes it a traditional snickerdoodle.
- Sugars: For further mushy cookies, use extra brown sugar than white granulated sugar. You additionally want a little bit of white granulated sugar for coating the dough.
- Peanut Butter: The most effective peanut butter to make use of for at this time’s peanut butter snickerdoodles is a creamy processed peanut butter like Skippy or Jif. I do NOT advocate natural-style. Whereas it’s so tasty for consuming and cooking, it’s simply going to make your cookies dry out and crumble.
- Chopped Peanuts: I like utilizing salted roasted peanuts for further taste. You may additionally use peanut butter baking chips, or each!
You additionally want baking soda, salt, butter, egg, and vanilla.
Do I Must Add Peanuts?
Sure. I don’t advocate leaving out the chopped peanuts as a result of they add a lot peanutty taste. I really desire including chopped peanuts over utilizing crunchy peanut butter, which tends to dry out cookies. Give the peanuts an excellent tough chop.
Count on a Very Creamy Cookie Dough
Peanut butter acts extra like a dry ingredient in cookies as a result of it soaks up numerous moisture. Since there’s not an excessive amount of flour, the dough is actually mushy… like peanut butter frosting mushy. You may even suppose you’re doing one thing incorrect. Don’t fear, you’re not! After the dough comes collectively, chill it within the fridge for 3 hours. Because it chills, the cookie dough solidifies and is far simpler to form.
Look how thick the cookie dough is after chilling:
Coating in Cinnamon Sugar
Roll the chilled dough into balls, about 1 heaping Tablespoon (25g) of dough every. Then, roll the dough balls generously in cinnamon sugar for that traditional snickerdoodle-y style. 😉
Prepare about 3 inches aside in your lined baking sheet and bake:
The cookies puff up within the oven, after which fall to their crinkly future as they cool. These cookies are fragile proper after baking, so allow them to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack.
3 Success Suggestions for the Finest Peanut Butter Snickerdoodles
- Don’t use pure peanut butter. I discover the cookies style dry, crumble, and collapse.
- Chill the dough. I’m a damaged file right here. Don’t skip this step!
- Take pleasure in with a steamy mug of sizzling chocolate. Clearly an important success tip I may offer you…
Gentle, cinnamon-sugar-coated peanut butter snickerdoodles are in your future! Chilling the cookie dough for no less than 3 hours is crucial. It could seem to be an odd quantity of flour within the dough, however 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (142g) makes for a young peanut butter cookie that also holds form. For greatest outcomes, use creamy peanut butter.
- Make the dough: Whisk the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar collectively till utterly creamed and easy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and beat till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl as wanted. Add the peanut butter and vanilla extract and beat till mixed.
- Add the flour combination to the moist components and beat on low pace till mixed. Add the chopped peanuts and beat till simply integrated. The dough will probably be very creamy and mushy. Cowl and chill the cookie dough within the fridge for no less than 3 hours, and as much as 3–4 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line giant baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Put aside.
- Roll & coat the dough: Place remaining 1/3 cup (70g) of sugar right into a bowl, and blend within the cinnamon. Roll chilled cookie dough into balls, about 1 heaping Tablespoon (25g) of dough every. Roll every ball generously within the cinnamon sugar and organize on baking sheets about 3 inches aside.
- Bake for 11–12 minutes or till the perimeters seem set and are very frivolously browned. The facilities will nonetheless look very mushy.
- Take away from the oven. Cool cookies on the baking sheets for 10 minutes earlier than transferring to a cooling rack to chill utterly. Cookies puff up within the oven, however barely deflate as they cool.
- Cowl and retailer leftover cookies at room temperature for as much as 1 week. Their taste is even higher on day 2!
- Make Forward Directions: You can also make the cookie dough and chill it within the fridge for as much as 3–4 days. You too can freeze the cookie dough balls. Roll the dough into balls then freeze the balls for as much as 2–3 months. You may freeze the cookie dough balls with the cinnamon sugar topping or with out, however I like to recommend freezing with out the topping. When you find yourself able to bake, take away the dough balls from the freezer, let sit for 20 minutes, preheat the oven, after which roll into topping. You too can freeze the baked cookies for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Stand Mixer or Handheld) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets
- Cream of Tartar: You may skip the cream of tartar if desired, however you’ll lose some taste. Cream of tartar provides a singular tangy taste to the cookie, which units it aside from sugar cookies and makes it a traditional snickerdoodle.
- Peanut Butter: It’s greatest to make use of a processed peanut butter like Jif creamy or Skippy creamy. I don’t counsel utilizing natural-style, oily peanut butter. Crunchy peanut butter provides peanut chunks, but additionally makes for a crumblier texture. I strongly advocate utilizing creamy on this recipe.
- Peanuts: For a salty/candy cookie, I like to recommend utilizing roasted salted peanuts. If desired, you need to use unsalted or uncooked (not roasted) peanuts. I don’t advocate leaving these out as a result of they add numerous taste (and construction!) to the cookies. You may additionally use the identical quantity of peanut butter chips or chocolate chips.
Key phrases: peanut butter snickerdoodles
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.