Impressed by the basic favourite vacation sweet, my Peppermint Bark Cookies are the right trifecta of chocolate, white chocolate and festive peppermint. They take simply half-hour to make, don’t require a mixer, and want NO chilling! Recipe features a how-to video!
A Distinctive Christmas Cookie
Peppermint bark is winter’s model of pumpkin spice; it’s the taste of the season, present in all the things from scorching chocolate to candles, and in the present day I’m infusing it into cookies. Not simply any cookies, although, these are a festive favourite of mine that I first shared a couple of years in the past and that wanted a facelift (however no modifications to the unique recipe, that was excellent).
These cookies are mushy and chewy, wealthy with out being too decadent, and resplendent in a manner that makes them a must-bake to your vacation cookie tray. I made certain to develop this recipe so the tip consequence included all of the textures you crave in a peppermint bark bar: clean white chocolate sweet coating, crunchy peppermint bits, and pops of darkish chocolate all through.
As decadent and lovely as they seem, these cookies are literally quite simple to make. You don’t want a mixer to make the dough AND you don’t have to sit back it–simply stir all the things collectively and bake. These are a enjoyable and distinctive (and far simpler!) various to the basic roll-out sugar cookies or gingerbread males that you just’ll discover on most Christmas cookie trays.
Why you’ll love my recipe:
- No mixer: the dough could be blended fully by hand.
- Quick: simply half-hour to make with NO chilling!
- Wonderful texture: the cookies are mushy and chewy with pops of chocolate and peppermint.
- Straightforward: makes use of fundamental components and no fancy instruments or strategies.
- Enjoyable and colourful. A festive addition to any Christmas cookie tray.
What You Want
A couple of of these components up there are value noting earlier than we begin prepping our peppermint bark cookies:
- Pure cocoa powder. Ensure to make use of pure cocoa powder; I don’t advocate Dutch course of cocoa right here because the cookies received’t end up fairly the identical.
- Cornstarch. The key ingredient from my chocolate chip cookies makes one other visitor look right here. Only a pinch of cornstarch makes these cookies mushy and chewy and prevents them from spreading an excessive amount of within the oven.
- Mini chocolate chips. In case you don’t have mini chocolate chips available, they are often omitted or you possibly can finely chop a darkish chocolate bar. I personally just like the chocolatey pops all through although and suppose they assist create a pleasant texture!
- Peppermint extract. My recipe solely makes use of a small splash of this extract for a refined infusion of peppermint taste, suppose a bit lower than a skinny mint cookie. It’s definitely not going to knock you within the face with mint taste, however for those who’re in search of a stronger punch be happy to double the extract. Notice that this isn’t the identical as mint extract, which I really feel has extra of a toothpaste-y taste. Go for peppermint!
- White chocolate. Use a high-quality white chocolate, like Ghirardelli. On this occasion, chopped premium white chocolate bars may even work for those who can’t discover white chocolate chips.
- Crushed sweet canes. Crush them sufficiently small so that they lend a pleasant refined crunchy texture on the cookies (giant items might be a bit jaw-jarring). I used crushed mini sweet canes, however you possibly can crush giant ones and even use pre-crushed sweet cane items (Amazon has them).
SAM’S TIP: Including only a little bit of both vegetable shortening or coconut oil to the white chocolate makes it a lot simpler to work with when dipping the cookies. You possibly can omit this for those who don’t have any available, however simply know the chocolate will likely be thicker and harder to dip.
That is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the publish!
Methods to Make Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Soften the chocolate – Soften the butter and chocolate chips within the microwave till clean, then cool utterly.
- Add the moist components – Stir within the sugars, egg, egg yolk, and extracts.
- Mix the dry components – Whisk collectively the dry components in a separate bowl, then step by step add them to the chocolate combination.
- Bake and funky – Drop cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten barely earlier than baking for 9 minutes. Let the cookies cool on their sheets for a couple of minutes earlier than transferring to a cooling rack.
- Put together the chocolate – Soften the white chocolate and shortening within the microwave till clean and melted.
- Dip, high, and revel in! Dip every cookie in chocolate, place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet, and high with crushed sweet canes.
SAM’S TIP: Wait till your chocolate combination has utterly cooled earlier than including your remaining moist components! In case you add them whereas the combination continues to be heat, you danger melting your sugars, leaving you with a greasy, moist cookie dough. Your cookies will unfold all around the baking sheet if this occurs, and sadly no quantity of chilling will save them.
Often Requested Questions
Sure! Wrap them properly and retailer them in an hermetic container or ziploc bag for as much as 3 months. In case you’re seeking to freeze the cookies earlier than baking, take a look at my publish on find out how to freeze cookie dough.
That can work simply tremendous; I discover that utilizing the microwave is way simpler although. When you have points together with your chocolate seizing within the microwave, take a look at my publish on find out how to soften chocolate chips within the microwave.
I usually advocate utilizing unsalted butter vs salted butter to raised management the salt in my recipes. I do know a lot of you simply preserve salted butter available although. If this is applicable to you, you should utilize salted butter and scale back the salt on this recipe to ¼ teaspoon.
I’ve one other peppermint bark dessert recipe coming later this week–keep tuned!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! In case you do this recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and you can too discover me on YouTube and Fb
Peppermint Bark Cookies
Servings: 30 cookies
Stop your display from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
In a big, microwave protected bowl, mix butter and a pair of cups semisweet chocolate chips. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir, repeating at 15 second increments till chocolate and butter are utterly melted.
Take away from microwave and permit to chill not less than 10 minutes or till combination not feels heat to the contact earlier than continuing.
As soon as butter/chocolate combination has cooled, stir in sugars, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and peppermint extracts.
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Steadily stir flour combination into butter combination till utterly mixed.
Stir in mini chocolate chips, if utilizing.
Drop cookie dough by 1 ½ Tablespoon scoop onto parchment paper, urgent down barely to flatten.
Bake 9 minutes, permit to chill on cookie sheet for five minutes after which switch to cookie rack to chill utterly earlier than dipping in chocolate.
Put together white chocolate by putting in medium-sized microwave-safe bowl with shortening or coconut oil. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir, then proceed to microwave in 15-second increments (stirring properly in-between) till chocolate is totally melted.
Dip cookies ⅓-½ of the way in which in white chocolate and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with crushed sweet canes. Enable chocolate to harden earlier than having fun with.
After white chocolate has hardened, retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 2g | Fats: 9g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 58mg | Potassium: 89mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 89IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.