This roasted root greens recipe is so scrumptious that you’ll be wanting seconds! Contemporary herbs and a aromatic sage oil pack the veggies with wealthy, earthy taste.
This oven roasted root greens recipe elevates humble carrots, parsnips, turnips, candy potatoes, and beets right into a holiday-worthy aspect dish. I do know these unassuming greens won’t be the primary ones you attain for on the farmers market or grocery retailer, however there are such a lot of causes to prepare dinner them. They’re nutritious and inexpensive. They’re colourful, and–better of all–they’re scrumptious.
On this roasted root greens recipe, I chop them into large chunks and toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and plenty of contemporary herbs. Then, I roast them till they’re tender and caramelized. After they come out of the oven, I drizzle them with a aromatic sage oil, which makes their wealthy, earthy taste that a lot richer and that a lot earthier. And, as a ultimate of entirety, I sprinkle them with fried sage leaves, which provide an important crispy distinction to the tender roasted veg. You won’t think about your self going again for a second serving to of roasted root greens at a vacation dinner, however do this recipe, and I promise that you’ll.
Roasted Root Greens Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll must make this roasted root greens recipe:
- Root greens, after all! I exploit crimson beets, golden beets, carrots, parsnips, candy potatoes, and turnips. They fill this straightforward aspect dish with daring colour and candy, earthy, bitter, and nutty flavors.
- Further-virgin olive oil – You’ll toss some with the veggies to assist them turn into brown and tender within the oven and use extra to make the infused sage oil.
- Contemporary herbs – I roast the greens with chopped rosemary, sage, and thyme. I crisp up extra complete sage leaves to make use of as a garnish on the ultimate dish.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Roasted Root Greens Recipe Ideas
- To peel or to not peel? It’s as much as you! I haven’t indicated whether or not or to not peel the greens within the recipe under, as a result of I feel it’s a matter of non-public desire. After I make this recipe, I usually peel the beets however go away the skins on the opposite root veggies, ensuring to clean them nicely earlier than roasting. In case you choose, you’ll be able to peel extra or the entire greens. The recipe will come out nice it doesn’t matter what.
- Group the veggies strategically. The roasted greens are prepared when their middles are tender and their outsides are properly browned. However differing kinds greens gained’t all get up to now on the identical time. For that reason, I like to recommend utilizing two baking sheets on this recipe and grouping greens with related cooking instances collectively. Place the beets and carrots on one baking sheet and the candy potatoes, parsnips, and turnips on the opposite. Begin checking the greens after 25 minutes. You’ll doubtless take the pan with the candy potatoes out of the oven nicely earlier than you take away the one with the beets.
- Don’t crowd the veggies. One other advantage of utilizing two baking sheets is that you just’ll have loads of room to unfold out the veggies. In the event that they’re crammed collectively, they’ll steam within the oven, softening with out browning. For the perfect browning (aka the perfect taste!), be sure to rearrange the greens in a single layer on every pan.
- Get forward. I like to recommend roasting the basis greens on the day you intend to serve them, however they’re scrumptious heat or at room temp, so be happy to bake them off a couple of hours earlier than your meal. Drizzle them with the sage oil and high them with the crispy sage leaves simply earlier than serving.
Learn how to Serve Roasted Root Greens
I developed this roasted veggies recipe with holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas in thoughts, however this wholesome aspect dish could be at house at any fall or winter meal. Pair it along with your favourite protein for a satisfying weeknight dinner, or serve it alongside mushroom polenta, stuffed shells, or butternut squash risotto for a comforting weekend feast.
If you’re making this recipe for a vacation meal, it should go splendidly with traditional aspect dishes like these:
On the lookout for extra vacation aspect dish recipes? Take a look at this publish!
Extra Favourite Veggie Facet Dishes
In case you love these roasted root greens, attempt certainly one of these veggie aspect dishes subsequent:
Roasted Root Greens
Serves 4 to six
These oven roasted root greens are a scrumptious aspect dish! I high the tender, caramelized veggies with a aromatic sage oil and crispy sage leaves for wealthy, earthy depth of taste. We like to serve this recipe as a vacation aspect dish, however it might be an important addition to any fall or winter meal. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 beets, ideally 1 crimson and 1 golden, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 giant carrot, roll reduce into 1-inch chunks
- 3 parsnips, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium candy potato, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 turnip, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- Further-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon chopped contemporary rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped contemporary sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon contemporary thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Place the beets and carrots on one baking sheet and the parsnips, candy potato, and turnip on the opposite. Drizzle the greens with olive oil and sprinkle with the rosemary, sage, thyme, pinches of salt, and several other grinds of pepper. Toss to coat and unfold evenly on the baking sheets. Roast for 25 to 50 minutes, or till tender and browned across the edges. The parsnips, candy potato, and turnip will bake for much less time. The beet and carrot will roast longer.
Make the crispy sage: Line a plate with paper towels. Warmth the olive oil in a small saucepan till effervescent, add the sage leaves, stir, and prepare dinner till crisp, about 1 minute. Take away the leaves from the oil and switch to the ready plate to empty. Reserve the oil for serving with the greens.
Take away the greens from the oven and toss with 1 tablespoon of the sage oil. Switch to a platter and high with the crispy sage leaves.