This simple enchiladas recipe is at all times successful! That includes a flavorful selfmade sauce and plenty of melty cheese, it is easy, comforting, and scrumptious.
This enchiladas recipe is the form of easy, comforting dish that all of us want in our weeknight rotations. It’s simple, it’s flavorful, and it’ll win over the pickiest palates (our kiddo at all times asks for extra!).
The filling is a combo of gooey cheese, black beans, and steamed spinach. I roll it up in corn tortillas, which I then smother with selfmade enchilada sauce and extra cheese. Lastly, I bake the enchiladas till the cheese is melty and the perimeters of the tortillas are crisp. For such a easy recipe, the style, texture, and total deliciousness are out of this world! I feel you’re going to adore it.
Cheese Enchiladas Recipe Elements
Although enchiladas are actually a fixture in American house kitchens and Tex Mex delicacies, they’ve their roots in Mexico. Types of enchiladas range significantly from area to area and from kitchen to kitchen, however usually, they encompass tortillas dipped in a sauce after which rolled round a filling. They’re additionally generally left unfilled, folded over, and topped with meat, cheese, or greens. This cheese enchiladas recipe is a model of the enchiladas I grew up consuming within the Midwest, and it’s much like some Tex Mex enchiladas I’ve loved at eating places in Austin too. Right here’s what’s in it:
- Corn tortillas – I like the wealthy corn taste they add to this recipe, although you may sub flour tortillas if you happen to choose. Tortillas made with a corn/flour mix are additionally good right here, as they’re extra pliable than common corn tortillas, however they nonetheless have a pleasant corn taste.
- Purple enchilada sauce – My selfmade model is so a lot better than the store-bought variety! It’s simple to make with tomato sauce, veggie broth, and spices.
- Cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Oaxaca cheese – The cheddar provides nice sharp taste, and the Jack and Oaxaca cheeses soften superbly. You’ll use the cheddar and Jack cheeses on high of the enchiladas and add all three cheeses to the filling.
- Black beans – They add creamy texture and earthy taste to the enchilada filling.
- Spinach – Its silky texture is implausible contained in the enchiladas.
- And the toppings – Avocado, cilantro, and jalapeños supply the proper recent distinction to the tacky filling.
Serve with a squeeze of lime!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Learn how to Make Enchiladas
This cheese enchiladas recipe is so easy! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, prep the sauce and fillings. The sauce is fast and simple to make on the range (we’re speaking quarter-hour!). It additionally retains properly for as much as 5 days within the fridge if you wish to make it upfront. As soon as the sauce is about to go, you’ll must steam and chop the spinach and grate the cheddar and Jack cheeses. Tear the Oaxaca cheese into strips.
Subsequent, fill the enchiladas. Unfold 1/2 cup of the sauce on the backside of a giant baking dish. Place a little bit of every cheese and a number of the black beans and spinach in a tortilla, and roll to seal. Place it, seam facet down, within the ready baking dish. Repeat to assemble the remaining enchiladas.
Then, add extra sauce and cheese. Pour the remaining sauce down the middle of the enchiladas, leaving the perimeters of the tortillas naked in order that they crisp up within the oven. Scatter the remaining cheddar and Jack cheeses within the heart as properly.
Lastly, bake in a 350°F oven till the cheese is melted and the perimeters of the tortillas are crisp.
Let the enchiladas cool barely, then load them up with recent cilantro, diced avocado, and sliced jalapeños, and dig in!
Oh, and if you wish to get artistic along with your toppings, don’t maintain again. Sliced radishes, diced white onion, shredded cabbage or lettuce, or a dollop of bitter cream can be nice right here too.
Enchilada Recipe Suggestions
- Squeeze the water out of the spinach. When you steam the spinach, place it in a clear kitchen towel or paper towel and wring out any extra water. This fast steps prevents that water from seeping into the enchiladas and making them soggy.
- Tortillas cracking? Pop them within the microwave. In a conventional recipe, you’d frivolously fry the tortillas in oil to make them pliable earlier than assembling the enchiladas. To chop down on prep time, I skip this step once I make enchiladas at house. As an alternative, I wrap the tortillas in a moist kitchen towel and microwave them for about 10 seconds. They arrive out gentle and versatile, simple to roll up with out cracking.
- Go away the perimeters of the tortillas naked. That approach, they’ll crisp up within the oven, providing an ideal crunchy distinction to the gooey enchilada middles.
- Make this recipe your individual! Do you like plain cheese enchiladas? Omit the black beans and spinach from the recipe. Like a heartier veggie filling? Add roasted butternut squash or cauliflower and inexperienced onions. Although this enchiladas recipe is scrumptious as written, you possibly can deal with it like a clean canvas. Have enjoyable making it your individual!
Extra Favourite Weeknight Dinners
For those who love this enchiladas recipe, attempt one in every of these simple weeknight dinners subsequent:
This cheese enchiladas recipe is a scrumptious meal that is simple to make on any evening of the week. To get forward, put together the sauce upfront. It’s going to preserve for as much as 5 days within the fridge.
- 1½ cups Enchilada Sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces Oaxaca cheese, torn
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 ounces steamed and chopped spinach*
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped recent cilantro
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ lime, for squeezing
Preheat the oven to 350°F and unfold ½ cup of the enchilada sauce on the underside of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
In case your tortillas are too stiff to roll with out cracking, wrap them in a moist towel and heat them for just a few seconds within the microwave.
In a small bowl, combine collectively ¾ cup of the cheddar cheese and ¾ cup of the Jack cheese.
Fill a tortilla with a number of the cheese mix and a number of the Oaxaca cheese, black beans, and spinach. Roll the tortilla closed and place it seam facet down within the ready baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Pour the remaining 1 cup sauce on high of the enchiladas, leaving the perimeters of the tortillas naked, if desired. Prime with the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese and ½ cup Jack cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or till the cheese is melted and the perimeters of the tortillas are crisp. Take away from the oven and let cool barely, then high with jalapeño slices, cilantro, avocado, and squeezes of lime and serve.
*Place the spinach in a steamer basket and set over a pot crammed with 1 inch of water. Carry the water to a simmer, cowl, and steam for 1 minute, or till the spinach is wilted. Switch to a strainer and squeeze out the surplus water. If desired, roughly chop the spinach.