The BEST snickerdoodle recipe! These straightforward cookies are crisp across the edges, chewy within the center, and full of candy cinnamon taste.
I’m kicking off cookie season with a brand new snickerdoodle recipe! It yields snickerdoodles simply the best way I like them. These traditional cookies are crisp across the edges and smooth and chewy within the center. They’re frivolously candy and warmly spiced with cinnamon, and so they have a delicate tangy taste that I discover utterly irresistible.
Style apart, I additionally love this snickerdoodle recipe as a result of it’s so easy to make. You may combine up the dough, bake the cookies, and have them able to eat in beneath half-hour, no chilling required! It’s a terrific recipe to make all through the vacation season (who would say no to a snickerdoodle on a festive cookie plate?!), but it surely’s additionally one in all our favorites year-round. I hope you like it as a lot as we do.
Snickerdoodle Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll must make this straightforward snickerdoodle recipe:
- All-purpose flour – You’ll want to spoon and stage it so that you just don’t pack an excessive amount of flour into your measuring cup. Including further flour to the dough could make these cookies dry and cakey as a substitute of chewy.
- Granulated sugar – You’ll combine some into the cookie dough and use extra to make the cookies’ cinnamon-sugar coating.
- Cinnamon – Rolled onto the surface of the cookies together with some sugar, it provides the snickerdoodles their signature look and spiced style.
- Unsalted butter – Enable it to return to room temperature earlier than making the recipe. It ought to be smooth, however not melted.
- An egg + an egg yolk – The extra yolk provides the cookies an extra-chewy texture.
- Cream of tartar – The not-so-secret ingredient in a traditional snickerdoodle recipe! Cream of tartar provides snickerdoodle cookies their attribute tang, and it additionally retains them smooth, because it prevents the sugar within the dough from crystallizing.
- Baking soda – Together with the cream of tartar, it helps the cookies rise.
- Vanilla extract – For heat depth of taste.
- And sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Learn how to Make Snickerdoodles
These snickerdoodle cookies are so easy to make!
First, make the cinnamon-sugar coating. Combine collectively the cinnamon and three tablespoons of the sugar in a small bowl.
Then, combine up the cookie dough within the bowl of a stand mixer. An electrical hand mixer works too! Cream collectively the butter and the remaining sugar till the combination is gentle and fluffy. Then combine within the egg and egg yolk, adopted by the cream of tartar, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Add the flour somewhat at a time and blend till simply mixed. Cease to scrape down the edges of the bowl as wanted.
Subsequent, form the cookies. Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop the dough, and use your arms to roll it into balls. Roll the balls within the cinnamon sugar combination.
Lastly, bake! Prepare the dough balls on parchment-lined baking sheets, ensuring to depart at the least 2 inches between balls. Bake, one sheet at a time, at 375°F till the cookies are puffed, simply 8 to 9 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes earlier than transferring them to a wire rack to chill utterly. Take pleasure in!
Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe Ideas
- Bake one sheet at a time. Despite the fact that you set your oven to 1 temperature, the precise temp all through it might fluctuate. Which means, you probably have a number of cookie sheets within the oven, cookies on a low rack may over-brown earlier than the timer goes off, whereas cookies on a excessive rack may nonetheless want a couple of extra minutes. I like to recommend baking one sheet at a time on a center rack for probably the most constant outcomes.
- Don’t overbake. One of the best time to take these cookies out of the oven is once they nonetheless look underdone. They’ll have unfold out and overvalued, however they’ll nonetheless be pale, and so they received’t have set within the center. In my oven, they attain this level after 8 to 9 minutes of baking. It is perhaps tempting to go longer than this, however belief me! The cookies will arrange properly as soon as they’re out of the oven. Bake them previous this level, and so they received’t retain the chewy center all of us search for in a snickerdoodle.
- Allow them to cool on the baking sheet. Re: the final tip, the snickerdoodles shall be tremendous smooth once you take them out of the oven. To present them an opportunity to arrange, allow them to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet earlier than transferring them to a cooling rack (or sampling one!).
- Freeze the extras (you probably have any). Should you suppose you’ll polish off these snickerdoodle cookies inside 4 days, disregard this tip. For that period of time, the cookies will preserve completely effectively in an hermetic container at room temperature. However if you wish to save a stash for a deal with down the highway, pop them within the freezer! Saved in an hermetic bag or container, they preserve effectively for as much as 3 months.
Extra Favourite Cookie Recipes
Should you love these snickerdoodles, strive one in all these favourite cookie recipes subsequent:
Need less difficult cookie recipes? Discover 17 of our favorites right here!
Serves 25 to 30
These smooth snickerdoodles are frivolously crisp across the edges and chewy within the center. They’re SO straightforward to make (this recipe does not even name for chilling the dough!), and so they have an irresistible buttery, tangy taste. One in every of our favourite treats!
- 1¼ cups plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 massive egg
- 1 massive egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
Preheat the oven to 375°F and line two massive baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a shallow dish, combine collectively 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the cinnamon. Put aside.
Within the bowl of a stand mixer, cream collectively the butter and the remaining 1¼ cups sugar till gentle and fluffy. Add the egg and egg yolk and beat till creamy. Add the cream of tartar, baking soda, vanilla, and salt and blend till mixed. Progressively add the flour and blend till simply mixed.
Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop the dough, then use your arms to roll it into balls. Roll the dough balls within the cinnamon sugar and organize them on the ready baking sheets, leaving at the least 2 inches between balls.
Bake, one sheet at a time, for 8 to 9 minutes, or till the cookies are puffed. They may look underdone, however taking them out at this level helps them keep smooth and chewy within the center. Enable them to chill for 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then switch to a wire rack to chill utterly.