This simple, Genuine Mexican Rice is made with contemporary tomatoes, onion, garlic, peas, and extra! A aromatic, flavorful facet dish that’s a must have with any Mexican principal course.
Good Mexican Rice, Produced from Scratch
Everybody loves basic Mexican rice, with its medley of veggies, mild tomato-and-garlic seasoning, and versatile taste. It goes with any Mexican meal you may consider, from a plate of hen enchiladas to daring beef barbacoa. Numerous fast, boxed varieties can be found, however if you need to make some from scratch, that’s completely doable, even on a busy weeknight. The truth is, this recipe is so easy, you could skip the boxed variations fully when you attempt it!
So if there’s a meal you’re making that goes with rice, contemplate upgrading strange white rice to a pot of fluffy, colourful Mexican rice, full with savory onion and garlic, tomatoes, carrots, and peas. It’s a wholesome, piquant swap that your loved ones will love.
What’s the Distinction Between Spanish Rice and Mexican Rice?
Whereas Spanish rice and Mexican rice are very related, they do have a few variations. Mexican rice is often a bit softer and “soften in your mouth,” though after all, this will depend on the recipe! However the primary distinction is that Spanish rice usually consists of saffron for further perfume and a shiny yellow colour.
What Is Mexican Rice Made Of?
Mexican rice constructed from scratch is a super-comforting, mild-but-zesty dish that everybody will love. And for the cook dinner, there’s quite a bit to like right here, too – the components and the cooking technique are so easy!
- Onion: Chop the onion up right into a small cube. White onion is ok, or you may use yellow, pink, and so forth.
- Garlic: Minced or pressed.
- Tomatoes: I take advantage of Roma tomatoes, however any sort will work.
- Salt: For further taste, you need to use tomato bouillon or hen bouillon as an alternative of plain salt.
- Oil: Olive oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil, canola – no matter you want.
- Rice: For this recipe, go for a long-grain white rice.
- Carrot: Cube up one carrot.
- Peas: Frozen are nice. If you wish to save time, you may omit the contemporary carrot, and substitute frozen peas and carrots.
- Hen Broth: Or vegetable broth.
Tips on how to Make This Dish
To make Mexican rice, you’ll first must mix up the onions with the garlic and tomatoes. This makes a saucy condiment considerably like sofrito, to taste and colour the rice. Then you definitely’ll must par-cook the rice, add the opposite components, and let it get tender and fluffy. Right here’s the rundown:
- Make the Tomato Sauce. Utilizing a meals processor or blender, puree the onions, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and water. As soon as the combination is easy, set it apart.
- Saute the Rice. Set a big saucepan or pot (one which has a great, tight-fitting lid) over medium warmth. Pour the oil into the saucepan, and let that warmth up. Subsequent, add the rice, and saute the rice a bit of till it adjustments from a translucent colour to white.
- Add the Remaining Components and Deliver to a Boil. Pour/scrape the pureed tomato combination into the saucepan with the rice, and stir. Let this cook dinner, stirring often, for a few minutes. Then add the carrots, peas and broth. Deliver all the things to a boil, and let it boil for only one minute.
- Simmer the Rice. As soon as the rice has boiled for one minute, flip down the warmth to medium-low and canopy the saucepan. Simmer the rice for 20 minutes – it’s useful to make use of a timer so that you just don’t overcook the rice. Ensure to not uncover the rice whereas it simmers.
- Relaxation the Rice after which Serve. Take the simmered rice off of the warmth, and let it relaxation for five minutes with the lid on the saucepan. After 5 minutes, take away the lid, and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve together with your favourite dishes.
Ideas for Completely-Cooked Mexican Rice
Everybody has their very own ideas for making excellent rice, and for this recipe, I undoubtedly have just a few myself. These are my finest items of recommendation for cooking genuine, home made Mexican rice to perfection.
- 1-Minute Boil: Get your rice as much as a boil, then boil for solely 1 minute. From there, it’s essential to scale back the warmth and simply let the rice simmer for the remaining cook dinner time.
- No Stirring: One other essential factor to recollect is to not stir the rice as soon as it’s simmering. Simply depart the lid on, and let it end out its 20-minute cook dinner time. It will hold your rice from getting gummy and mushy.
- Verify for Doneness: Style a pair items of rice to verify for doneness. In case your rice is just not fairly cooked, pour half a cup of water over it, with out stirring. Exchange the lid, and proceed cooking over medium-low warmth for a further 10 minutes to let the rice take up the remainder of the water and steam.
Genuine Mexican rice goes with any Mexican meal, and with lots of different issues, too – scrambled eggs, baked hen, steak bites, you title it. I wish to serve it with one thing tacky or saucy, like one among these simple dishes:
- Pico de Gallo Hen: A successful combo of juicy hen breast, taco seasoning, contemporary pico, and cheese makes this simple Pico de Gallo Hen a household favourite. You’ve acquired to attempt it!
- Chile Rellenos: Often known as Rajas con Crema, Chile Rellenos are stuffed poblano peppers with hen and cheese, in an unbelievable creamy poblano sauce. This dish simply cries out for some good rice to go along with it, so attempt making it alongside your home made Mexican rice!
- Beans: An enormous, warming pot of Charro Beans is the final word cold-weather dinner. You’ll love this daring and meaty dish, full of sausage, chorizo, tomatoes, spices, and tender beans. Or, change it up and serve this rice with some Selfmade Refried Beans.
- Greens: How a couple of massive batch of Calabacitas (Mexican squash)? It pairs excellent with this Mexican rice! However if you happen to aren’t feeling squash, this Mexican Road Corn Salad (Esquites) or Mexican Road Corn (Elote).
Tips on how to Retailer and Reheat Leftovers
Retailer your leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 7 days.
Reheat within the microwave, or in a coated skillet over medium-low warmth. You could need to sprinkle a little bit of water or broth over the rice earlier than reheating.
Can I Freeze This?
Sure, you may undoubtedly freeze Mexican rice! One of many best methods to do it’s to unfold out the rice on a tray or plate and stick it within the freezer till it’s good and chilly. Then switch to a freezer bag, mark with the date, and retailer in your freezer for as much as three months. Reheat immediately from frozen.
Prepare dinner Time
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 cups lengthy grain rice
- 1 carrot, diced (into the scale of peas)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups hen broth
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato, salt and water to a blender or meals processor. Mix until easy and put aside.
- Warmth the oil in a big saucepan with a lid over medium-high warmth. Add the rice and stir till it adjustments from a translucent colour to white.
- Pour the pureed combination over the recent rice and cook dinner for two to three minutes.
- Add the carrots, peas and broth and convey to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, however not. Then place the lid on the pan and switch the warmth all the way down to a simmer (medium low). Prepare dinner for 20 minutes. (Don’t elevate the lid throughout this time.)
- Take away from the warmth and let rice sit coated for five minutes. Fluff rice with a fork earlier than serving.
- Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 7 days.
- Freeze in an hermetic container for as much as 3 months.
- It is very important depart the lid on and do NOT stir the rice after the primary minute of boiling. It will stop your rice from getting gummy and mushy.
- Get your rice as much as a boil, then boil for just one minute. Cut back the rice to a simmer (medium low) and place the lid on the pan. Set a timer for 20 minutes so that you don’t over cook dinner your rice.
- Style a pair items of rice to verify for doneness. In case your rice is just not fairly cooked, pour ½ cup water into the rice with out stirring, substitute the lid and proceed cooking over medium low warmth for a further 10 minutes.
- In order for you further taste in your rice, substitute the salt with tomato or hen bouillon.
- You possibly can sub a cup of frozen greens as an alternative of the carrots and peas if you happen to want.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 181Whole Fats: 10gSaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 2mgSodium: 680mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Extra Flavorful Rice Dishes
This publish might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.