Triple-layered Nanaimo Bars are a wealthy, no-bake dessert that’s straightforward to make! A chocolate-graham-cracker crust, studded with chopped nuts and shredded coconut, is topped with thick vanilla custard and a shiny layer of hardened chocolate.
A Decadent No-Bake Dessert Bar
In terms of wealthy, dense, decadent treats, nothing beats a bar cookie. I exploit the time period loosely, as a result of loads of the easiest bars aren’t actually cookie-like: they’ve a granola texture, a cakey texture, a brownie texture… however for the sake of simplicity, “bar cookie” is a simple identify to make use of, proper?
These specific bar cookies are particularly distinctive of their texture, as a result of they’ve three very distinctive layers. That’s what makes them so particular and such a deal with! Every sq. of this decadent bar cookie has a richly flavored, buttery crust made with graham crackers, cocoa powder, and coconut. The center layer of the bars is a vanilla custard that’s thick and creamy, and on prime is a layer of ganache-like chocolate, which hardens after the bars are lower.
Are you craving Nanaimo bars but? I do know I’m!
What Precisely Are Nanaimo Bars?
These triple-layered bar cookies have an uncommon identify, for certain! They’re named after town the place they had been invented, Nanaimo, British Columbia. Nanaimo bars are a Canadian favourite that has develop into in style stateside, as nicely, and it’s straightforward to see why! Nobody might resist the crumbly chocolate graham-cracker crust full of shredded coconut, topped with creamy custard, and a layer of agency, milky chocolate!
Listed here are the delicious substances to make these no-bake delights. Truthful warning: Simply studying by this checklist might completely set off a chocolate craving… and a coconut craving… and a custard craving!
For the Crust
- Graham Cracker Crumbs: You can also make your individual very simply and shortly, by working them by a blender.
- Coconut: Shredded coconut provides sweetness and texture.
- Chopped Nuts: I exploit pecans and walnuts, however you need to use no matter you want!
- Butter: Utilizing salted butter within the crust combination ensures a satisfying, salty-sweet outcome.
- Cocoa Powder: The cocoa powder blends with the butter to make a darkish chocolate crust combination.
- Sugar: You don’t want a lot sugar, because the graham crackers are already candy.
- Egg: A big complete egg helps carry the crust collectively.
For the Filling
- Powdered Sugar: AKA confectioner’s sugar, this smooth sugar dissolves simply into the custard.
- Prompt Pudding: Vanilla taste
- Cream: Heavy cream provides unbelievable richness to the simple filling combination.
- Vanilla: A bit of further vanilla extract makes this custard filling a lot extra flavorful and homemade-tasting.
For the Topping
- Chocolate Chips: Melted chocolate chips are the premise of the ganache-like topping.
- Butter and Cream: Added butter and cream flip the melted chocolate right into a wealthy, fudgy prime layer for our Nanaimo Bars.
Make These Straightforward Nanaimo Bars
Making these bars is just like making most different no-bake layered desserts, besides that you’ll want to include an egg! To cook dinner the egg, it’s tempered with just a little little bit of scorching butter-cocoa combination, after which blended totally into the new butter-cocoa combination to complete coming to a secure temperature.
Make the Crust
- Prep the Pan and Dry Substances. Earlier than you get began on the crust, line a 9-inch sq. baking dish with parchment paper, and set it apart. Subsequent, mix the graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped pecans and walnuts in a big mixing bowl.
- Make the Melted Butter Combination. Soften your butter in a small saucepan over medium warmth. As soon as the butter is melted, add the cocoa and sugar, whisking till the sugar dissolves.
- Mood the Egg and Add to the Butter Combination. Beat the egg frivolously. Whisking constantly, add a few spoonfuls of the new butter combination. Then pour the egg combination into the cocoa combination, nonetheless whisking always. Whisk over medium warmth till the combination thickens. This gained’t take lengthy! Shortly take away the thickened butter combination from the warmth so it doesn’t curdle.
- Make the Crust. Pour the butter combination into the graham cracker combination, and stir it nicely. That is the crust on your Nanaimo bars. Dump it into the ready pan, and press right down to make a good layer. Let the crust cool fully earlier than including the layer. It’s finest to sit back the crust for quarter-hour (or longer) earlier than persevering with.
Make the Filling
- Mix the Filling Substances. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the moment pudding combine and the powdered sugar. Pour the heavy cream and vanilla in, and whisk till easy.
- Add the Filling to the Bars. Pour the filling over the cooled crust, and easy it out evenly with a spatula.
- Chill. Chill the filling for about 10 minutes earlier than including the chocolate topping.
Make the Topping
- Soften the Chocolate. To soften the chocolate chips, place them into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on excessive for 15-second intervals. Stir every time, till they’re easy.
- Add the Butter and Cream. Stir the heavy cream and butter into the chocolate till the combination is easy.
- High the Bars. Unfold the chocolate evenly over the filling layer. Enable the topping to set for 3 – 4 minutes earlier than chopping the bars into squares. After chopping, permit the bars to completely harden earlier than serving.
Helpful Ideas and Hacks
Everybody has their very own suggestions and methods for making Nanaimo bars the simple method, or the fast method, or what have you ever, and I’m no exception! Listed here are my finest hacks for creating decadent Nanaimo bars that look (and style) good.
- Reducing the Bars: It’s necessary to chop the bars when the chocolate layer is nearly set, however not totally hardened. In the event you attempt to lower the bars when the chocolate is ready, it usually cracks or presses the custard layer down. I additionally advocate utilizing a really sharp knife and warming it in a bowl of scorching water between cuts.
- Egg Tempering: Even skilled pastry cooks typically wrestle to mood eggs with out scrambling them! In the event you mood the egg and discover that the combination is just a little bit lumpy or scrambled, you may pour it by a strainer or nice sieve to take away the lumps. If it is vitally lumpy, you will have to re-make it in order that the custard thickens appropriately.
- A Little Goes a Lengthy Manner: With a lot sweetness and richness in each chunk, these squares are finest lower small. You possibly can lower one pan into 16 small squares.
- Variations: There are many enjoyable variations on basic Nanaimo bars, however my favourite solution to customise them is by including extracts to the custard combination! A tiny little bit of mint, rum, or orange extract is all it is advisable make mint-chocolate Nanaimo bars, candy rum Nanaimo bars, or orange-chocolate Nanaimo bars!
How Ought to I Retailer Additional Bars?
Nanaimo bars needs to be saved within the fridge, to guard the custard and chocolate and forestall them from melting. Right here’s how!
- Place the bars in hermetic containers, ideally shallow ones, so you may retailer in a single layer with out extra air. In the event you should retailer in multiple layer, use parchment or wax paper to separate them.
- Hold the bars within the fridge for as much as 2 weeks, or within the freezer for as much as 6 months.
- Thaw frozen bars in a single day within the fridge, earlier than serving.
Can I Make Nanaimo Bars In Advance?
Sure! Because the bars freeze nicely and refrigerate nicely, you can also make them as much as 6 months prematurely (retailer within the freezer and thaw in a single day), or two weeks prematurely (retailer within the fridge). Serve chilled.
For the Crust
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (about 1 ½ giant packages, put by a blender)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, frivolously crushed
For the Filling
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons immediate vanilla pudding
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Topping
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Make the Crust
- Line a 9-inch sq. baking dish with parchment. Put aside.
- Place the graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and nuts in a big mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium warmth, soften the butter. Add the cocoa and sugar, whisking till nicely mixed and the sugar is melted.
- Place the egg in a bowl and whisk in a few spoonfuls of the new cocoa combination. Then pour the egg combination into the cocoa combination over medium warmth, whisking always. The combination will thicken shortly; take away from the warmth in order that the eggs don’t curdle and develop into lumpy.
- Pour the butter combination into the graham cracker combination and stir completely to mix. Pour into the ready pan, and press right down to make a good layer.
- Let the crust cool fully earlier than including the layer. You possibly can chill the crust for quarter-hour (or longer) earlier than persevering with.
Make the Filling
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the moment pudding combine and powdered sugar. Add the heavy cream and vanilla, and whisk till easy.
- Pour the filling over the cooled crust, and easy into a good layer utilizing a spatula.
- Chill for 10 minutes.
Make the Topping
- Place the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on excessive for 15-second intervals, stirring every time, till easy. If there are any lumps, microwave a further 5 – 10 seconds.
- Stir the heavy cream into the chocolate till easy.
- Unfold evenly over the filling layer. Enable to set for 3 – 4 minutes earlier than chopping. After chopping, permit the chocolate to completely harden earlier than serving.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 311Complete Fats: 19gSaturated Fats: 11gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 8gLdl cholesterol: 39mgSodium: 124mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
Extra No-Bake Treats
This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.