A thick, flavorful marinade of mint, Aleppo pepper, and Turkish candy purple pepper paste caramelizes on the skin of those grilled rooster kebabs. This recipe first appeared alongside Ansel Mullins’s 2013 article “Keepers of the Flame,” through which he shares the methods of the kebap ustaları (kebab masters) of Gaziantep, Turkey.
Tavuk Kebabi (Mint & Aleppo Pepper Marinated Hen Kebabs)
A thick, flavorful marinade of mint, Aleppo pepper, and Turkish candy purple pepper paste caramelizes on the skin of those grilled rooster kebabs.
Yield: serves 6-8
2 hours, half-hour
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. dried mint
- 1 tbsp. crushed purple chile flakes
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp. Aleppo pepper
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. Turkish candy purple pepper paste
- 1 tsp. freshly floor black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless rooster thighs, reduce into 1-in.-thick items
- Put together the marinade: In a big bowl, whisk collectively the olive oil, mint, chile flakes, thyme, Aleppo pepper, tomato paste, purple pepper paste, black pepper, and salt. Add the rooster and toss to coat. Cowl with plastic wrap; let sit at room temperature for at the least half-hour, or refrigerate as much as 2 hours. Put together six 12-inch metallic or (totally soaked) bamboo skewers, shaking off any extra water earlier than utilizing.
- Preheat a grill to prepare dinner with 2-zone warmth. Take away rooster from marinade and thread onto the skewers. Place the skewers on the new aspect of the grill and prepare dinner, turning as wanted, till the rooster is barely charred and cooked by means of, 12–quarter-hour. If the skin begins to burn earlier than the rooster is absolutely cooked, transfer to the cooler aspect of the grill and proceed cooking till achieved. Switch to a platter and serve heat.