This web site might comprise affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we will present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
Tomato chutney is a candy and savory condiment bursting with tomato taste, scrumptious spices, vinegar, and brown sugar. Finest recognized for being the proper pairing for Indian delicacies, tomato chutney is a good addition to curries, naan bread, and charcuterie boards.
I positive do love an excellent sauce on the facet of my meals for dipping! It simply makes the meal so significantly better as a result of who doesn’t like to dip? You must undoubtedly strive my yum yum sauce, my home made cheese sauce, or this buffalo sauce. I need to drizzle these sauces on every little thing and I do know you’ll too!
What Is Tomato Chutney?
Tomato chutney is the mixture of tomatoes, spices, and vinegar slowly cooked right down to create a thick and flavorful sauce. You probably have by no means had tomato chutney, then you’re in for a deal with! It’s one of the best as a result of it may be served with many alternative dishes and even as an appetizer! It has an important mixture of candy and savory, and the flavors actually make the tomatoes stand out!
Not solely is that this recipe tremendous simple to make, nevertheless it shops so properly in your fridge and can last as long as 3 months! Which makes it an important recipe to make forward of time for the entire yummy dishes that you need to use it in. You may eat this heat, chilly, or at room temperature. I completely love consuming this with some scrumptious naan bread. It makes an important snack or perhaps a facet dish to some tikka masala!
Components Wanted For Tomato Chutney
If you’re like me and your backyard is bursting with tomatoes throughout the fall, this recipe is ideal for you! And one of the best half about it’s that it’ll final you just a few months, particularly should you make a couple of batch! To seek out the entire ingredient measurements, try the recipe card on the backside of the submit.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil helps cook dinner and soften the shallot and garlic.
- Shallot: I like utilizing shallots, however be at liberty to make use of a white onion if that’s what you’ve got readily available.
- Garlic: Garlic all the time provides one of the best taste. It’s a MUST!
- Tomatoes: Contemporary tomatoes are my favourite, however you need to use canned ones if you want.
- Brown Sugar: Just a bit brown sugar provides a scrumptious caramelly sweetness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Vinegar is a should in chutney as a result of it provides tanginess and helps protect the chutney. Substitute with purple wine vinegar!
- Floor Ginger: Ginger is a scrumptious spice utilized in numerous Indian cuisines.
- Cumin: I like the smoky taste of cumin!
- Chili Powder: Chili powder is a scrumptious spice on this recipe!
- Salt: Salt helps stability and improve the flavors.
How you can Make Tomato Chutney
This one-pot tomato chutney recipe simply comes collectively so that you can get pleasure from! Simply permit your self time for the chutney to cook dinner slowly and simmer on the range. It may be cooking and doing its factor when you concentrate on the opposite issues in life that maintain you busy! Simply set your timer and are available again when it’s cooked and able to be mashed!
- Saute the Shallot and Garlic: In a big skillet, add the olive oil, shallot, and garlic and warmth over medium-high warmth. Gently sauté till they start to melt.
- Add the Tomatoes, Sugar, Vinegar, and Spices: Add within the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, ginger, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Then stir to mix.
- Simmer and Cook dinner: Simmer for 1 hour, sometimes stirring, till the chutney reduces to a jammy consistency.
- Mash or Mix: As soon as cooked, take away from warmth and mash by hand or pulse in a meals processor or blender. I choose chutney on the chunkier facet, however be at liberty to make it chunky or clean.
- Serve: Permit to chill and serve, or retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge till prepared to make use of.
Suggestions and Variations
Tomato chutney is straightforward, and you’ll tweak it to be much less candy and even spicier! Everybody can get pleasure from this dip, and I even serve it to my vegan and gluten-free pals. I hope you discover my ideas useful!
- Scale back the Sugar: The sweetness of your chutney can rely on how candy your tomatoes are. Merely style and modify the sugar should you choose it sweeter. Begin out by including rather less sugar since you need to have the ability to management the sweetness. You can even use honey, agave, or granulated sugar should you choose.
- Make it Spicy: Be at liberty so as to add purple chili pepper flakes so as to add some warmth!
- Use Any Tomatoes: I exploit giant vine-ripened tomatoes, however Roma tomatoes or canned tomatoes work nice too!
- Thicken it Up: Chutney has the same consistency to jam. To ensure that your chutney to thicken, simply be affected person as a result of it has to chill with a purpose to thicken! You can even combine two tablespoons of cornflour with one teaspoon of vinegar and stir into your chutney till it has thickened.
- Extra Serving Concepts: Not solely are you able to serve this with Indian dishes, however you need to use it as a selection on burgers, sandwiches, or on crackers. I additionally love including it to a cheese board and spreading it on toast.
Storing tomato chutney is straightforward, and you need to use it many times for so long as it lasts! Pull it out of the fridge everytime you want a spoonful. Observe my easy ideas under for storing this lip-smacking condiment.
- Within the Fridge: As soon as your chutney has cooled, then you may retailer it in an hermetic jar or container. Chutney stays recent for as much as 3 months within the fridge!
In a big skillet, add the olive oil, shallot, and garlic and warmth over medium-high warmth. Gently sauté till they start to melt.
Add within the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, ginger, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir till mixed.
Simmer for 1 hour, stirring sometimes till the chutney reduces to a jammy consistency.
As soon as cooked, take away from warmth and mash by hand or pulse in a meals processor or blender. I lprefer chutney on the chunkier facet, however be at liberty to make it chunky or clean.
Permit to chill and serve, or retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge till prepared to make use of.
Serving2tablespoonsEnergy73kcal (4%)Carbohydrates14g (5%)Protein1g (2%)Fats2g (3%)Saturated Fats0.3g (2%)Polyunsaturated Fats0.3gMonounsaturated Fats1gSodium301mg (13%)Potassium252mg (7%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar12g (13%)Vitamin A797IU (16%)Vitamin C13mg (16%)Calcium22mg (2%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary info is predicated on third celebration calculations and is simply an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will range relying on the manufacturers you utilize, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.